Guitar straps. They're all rubbish!

What's Hot

Comments

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6122
    tFB Trader
    I've moved to Heistercamp leather straps. Soft, malleable, and grippy (due to the suede backing) and .... they smell incredible!
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3044
    @ThorpyFX  are they as grippy as the Levy deluxe suede ones? I have one and find it's too grippy, quite uncomfortable as it just wants to pull on my clothes
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14181
    tFB Trader
    ThorpyFX said:
    .. they smell incredible!
    be careful there and don't go pervy on me
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8692
    axisus said:
    Why are guitar straps so booooring ???????
    Booring is good. It's when you've sorted out what you want, and can move on to other things. 

I've have precise requirements for a strap: leather, flexible, 2.5 or 3 inches wide, suede inside so that it doesn't slip, and absolutely no metal work so that there's no risk to the guitar. Once bought they last for years. My eldest strap is 40 in July.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    ICBM said:
    axisus said:

I hate all those ones that takes half an hour to adjust because its all threaded back on itself.
    I like the leather ones that thread back through themselves. Why do you need to adjust them other than initially? Once you've found the right length it's a positive advantage that they can't ever 'self-adjust' like the sliding buckle ones.
    I like the "self adjusting" ones, they make you get gradually cooler as you play.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Since going over to Mono Betty straps about 18months ago, very little else feels as comfy.  Except the well-worn Rotosound Suede straps on the SG and Les Paul - both have done *many* gigs and feel great. I concede that the Mono isn't a great *looking* strap but I ceased to worry about looking cool some time ago...

I like the idea of woven straps but rarely are they comfy for me.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Kade1301 said:
    If you can't find one you like to buy, make it yourself! Where's the problem?

I'll weave one with my name on it, but first I need to finish the rug that's on the loom.

The problem is the lack of loom. I can't remember the last time one came up in the classifieds. I guess that must mean that like Klons, they are so good that nobody is selling.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    I use leather or suede.  One for each guitar.  That way once they are adjusted you don't need to mess with them again. You also don't have to worry about turning up to play somewhere and finding out you have forgotten the strap because it's with another guitar.  I do have less guitars than I used to so I have a few surplus straps these days (plus I bought a Heistercamp one the other day at the guitar show).  I suppose I should put one or two in the classifieds.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3320
    I dont find I need fancy straps, I like the ernie ball nylon ones with the leather ends about £10 a pop. have the same two for the past 10 years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6122
    tFB Trader
    Stevepage said:
    @ThorpyFX  are they as grippy as the Levy deluxe suede ones? I have one and find it's too grippy, quite uncomfortable as it just wants to pull on my clothes
    i dont find it an issue at all, its quite a fine suede so not too grippy .
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • bobliefeldbobliefeld Frets: 425
    I see a lot of laughs about this, a lot of snarky answers 

Seems a lot of people don't realise the massive impact straps can have on tone.  Consider this : what are the main places where your guitar makes contact with your person (body)? 

1. Your belly - make sure you wear good tone conductive clothing.  
    2. Through your strap.
    100.  Your fingers.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    If you've got a heavy beast, the Mono strap is a good load distributor...

Missus bought me one and it's well comfy
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    Am quite happy with my home made strap which is a combination of jean material, boot leather and nylon webbing... I rather like the leather planet waves locking strap too :) 
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I might get one of those Mono Straps, I only play at home so looks aren't important and it's an upgrade from the Polypropylene strap I have now. 
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    Sporky said:
    I like the brightly coloured fake fur ones.

I feel a little sad that so many soft toys have to die for each, but I'm fairly cold-hearted.
    If it helps ease your conscience, mine is real snow leopard.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    edited March 2017
    I just use an Ernie Ball strap - think its the Polypro. I have also a nice leather padded Gibson strap but it didn't slide around rather it grabbed my shirt which was a pain. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    On a more serious note, I have found that wider straps are a lot more comfortable - especially with a Les Paul.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    crunchman said:
    On a more serious note, I have found that wider straps are a lot more comfortable - especially with a Les Paul.
    And despite the fugly nature - that's exactly why I really like the Mono. Oh, that and the nice thick padding. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28022
    FX_Munkee said:
    Sporky said:
    I like the brightly coloured fake fur ones.

I feel a little sad that so many soft toys have to die for each, but I'm fairly cold-hearted.
    If it helps ease your conscience, mine is real snow leopard.
    Conscience eased, but envy cortex lighting up like a Christmas tree.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    I see a lot of laughs about this, a lot of snarky answers 

Seems a lot of people don't realise the massive impact straps can have on tone.  Consider this : what are the main places where your guitar makes contact with your person (body)? 

1. Your belly - make sure you wear good tone conductive clothing.  
    2. Through your strap.
    100.  Your fingers.
    Can't worry about it - just too 'strapped' for cash!  :3
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)