2»

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Ravenous said:

You need to take a few more photos (so you can publish a calendar.)

...But just imagine how deep & woody it would sound if you pulled & filled the frets :)

Heathen! It's got clay dots yknow! I paid good money for those thin weedy frets and clay dots!

I'm too chicken to try fretless yet... *blush*
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Day off today, so whilst it was sunny and pleasant here I decided to get some natural light shots:

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23968
    Your A and D string spacing is a bit off.

Move each in by 1 notch on the bridge. Should be equal then.
    Your A and D string spacing is a bit off.

Move each in by 1 notch on the bridge. Should be equal then.
    Lol, so was my G. 

I put a set of Chromes on today and gave it a decent setup. Truss rod tweak for the increased tension - it's running so flat I'm staggered - it's at .006 relief and no buzz at all. I reckon I could go another .001 flatter and still get no buzz. Set saddle heights for a nice 5/64 E to just a touch over 3/64 G. 

And then forgot to check string spacing ;)
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    That's lovely. Those frets are really low profile, just how I like them, bit beyond my budget tho' I'm afraid. :/
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    Beautiful bass..... The wall paper however................. :D
    Beautiful bass..... The wall paper however................. :D
    Don't start ;)

I'm surprised no one has commented on the shed colour yet...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

JezWynd said:
    That's lovely. Those frets are really low profile, just how I like them, bit beyond my budget tho' I'm afraid. :/
    I thought I would hate low profile frets, but it's so different on bass compared to guitar... 
    Dingwall's use banjo frets for that reason. Very nice!
    steveb said:
    No no no!!!!!! Leave them on!!!!
    I like to finger over the pickup. 

That sounds rude. It's true tho. I think you get the best tone from a P right over the pup. So, it's coming off.

And the Bridge cover has the original foam mute in it, so that has to come off too..
    Does that mean with the bridge cover in situ that the strings are constantly damped?
    JezWynd said:
    steveb said:

That sounds rude. It's true tho. I think you get the best tone from a P right over the pup. So, it's coming off.

And the Bridge cover has the original foam mute in it, so that has to come off too..
    Does that mean with the bridge cover in situ that the strings are constantly damped?
    In theory, yes.. In practice with mine the E string is, but the others aren't as it's compressed and crumbled away over time.. ;)
    edited March 2017
    JezWynd said:
    steveb said:

In theory, yes.. In practice with mine the E string is, but the others aren't as it's compressed and crumbled away over time..
    Interesting. I guess that means that Leo considered that damped sound to be the default Bass tone. Or else an earlier owner installed it?
    JezWynd said:
    JezWynd said:
    steveb said:

In theory, yes.. In practice with mine the E string is, but the others aren't as it's compressed and crumbled away over time.. ;)
    Interesting. I guess that means that Leo considered that damped sound to be the default Bass tone.
    He was trying to recreate the sound of an upright in an easily amplified compact form - hence the mute. 

Bit like the thumb rest is on the wrong side, as it's actually a finger rest as Leo assumed everyone would rest their fingers on there and pluck using their thumb..

The incredible thing really is that electric bass simply did not exist. Leo created it from scratch with no idea of how players would play it, or what it would be used for... how did he get it SO right??
    I like muted bass, but wedging a bit of foam under the strings when needed is far easier to deal with.
    I like muted bass, but wedging a bit of foam under the strings when needed is far easier to deal with.
    I did consider the fretwrap bridge jobby - I've got a wrap, but not the bridge thing. Hmm
    The fretwraps ars shite. Honestly just dig around for a bit of foam from a pickup box and use that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The fretwraps ars shite. Honestly just dig around for a bit of foam from a pickup box and use that.
    Yep I have a nice piece of pickup box foam.

I have also noticed it does a good job under p bass pickups to hoik them up when the 50 year old foam is as hard as a rock ;)