New Project - Part 1 Completed

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Body is now grain filled and sanded.

Next up is sanding sealer and then primer... 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Ok. We're off.

Body is going to be Surf Green (satin finish)

I'm going to do multiple scratchplates - some plain, some decoupaged.

Neck is being sprayed in Clear Satin:

Now, matching headstock, yes or no?
    Got to be a yes - you can't have too much Surf Green ;)
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    It's a no from me. Love a surf green body, but i much prefer woody headstocks
    Necks Done.

Stuck with woody headstock. Satin Nitro finish. Cut back with 1200 grit wet n dry so silky smooth now.

Body is primed and Surf Green ready to go on. I've left some grain in it, as it's going to be a satin finish so I want it to look a bit 'Gibson faded special' type look (i.e. cheap :) )

Parts ordered too. Tuners, bridge, string tree, pots, cap, SD Quarter Pounder, Jack plate + socket, Neck plate + screws...
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7730
    FWIW I played one for years. The SD is great although I settled on a GFS/artec strat rails pup which may surprise you.
    FWIW I played one for years. The SD is great although I settled on a GFS/artec strat rails pup which may surprise you.
    Thought I would give it a go and see - can always swap it out if it's naff. 
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    Moss said:
    Best of both worlds?

scratchplate idea cool but not this awful mustard colour. an olympic white or lipstick pink or candy apple red. something brilliant & electric 1960s pop & alive. think pop!

https://shop.royalacademy.org.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/3/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/2/e/2eduardo_paolozzi_-_b.a.s.h..jpg

hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    vale said:
    Moss said:
    Best of both worlds?

scratchplate idea cool but not this awful mustard colour. an olympic white or lipstick pink or candy apple red. something brilliant & electric 1960s pop & alive. think pop!

https://shop.royalacademy.org.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/3/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/2/e/2eduardo_paolozzi_-_b.a.s.h..jpg

@vale is Surf Green 60s pop enough for you?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Looks good to me!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• RockerRocker Frets: 4942
    That is an interesting looking Yamaha outboard motor in the background @Bridgehouse.  What type of boat do you use it with?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:
    That is an interesting looking Yamaha outboard motor in the background @Bridgehouse.  What type of boat do you use it with?
    Small river boat - we have a mooring as we own a section of river bank. It's a tiddler of a boat but it's good for exploring with a picnic ;)
    So it's sort of going to look like this. Other than it will need a second pickguard for decoupage duties..

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7730
    edited March 2017
    Beautiful! Definitely get some gotoh resolite tuners on there too, you'll love the balance. 
    Beautiful! Definitely get some gotoh resolite tuners on there too, you'll love the balance. 
    I've actually ordered the Schaller BM 4L's as that's what the headstock is drilled for - still pretty light but keeping some vintage vibe. I'm going for a very modern take on a vintage classic.

It will be a gigging bass all being well, and as it's a thin nitro satin finish it will wear pretty quickly to give it a natural relic..
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    Love surf green. I'd get a tortoiseshell pick guard on there myself.
    Lebarque said:
    Love surf green. I'd get a tortoiseshell pick guard on there myself.
    Heh - I think I've got too many basses with tort already! ;)

The guard that is on is satin black, so it matches the satin finish nicely. I'll see what it's like when all the other bits are on and take it from there I think. 

Parts are on their way apparently..
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    Decoupage headstock to match the scratchplate??
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    BigMonka said:
    I could do that - I did think of it, and it would work - but would mean I couldn't swap the scratchplate out with a plain one without the headstock looking odd.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    BigMonka said:
    I could do that - I did think of it, and it would work - but would mean I couldn't swap the scratchplate out with a plain one without the headstock looking odd.

You could do a smaller plate that is held on by the tuners and string tree

similar to this teisco

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4942
    @WezV, that Teisco looks awful. And I presume the front strap button is in a similar position as on an SG :(
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum