Just an amp and a guitar..sometimes its nice to get back to basics

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
edited March 2017 in Amps
Watched an old concert (1971) 'from the vault' of the Rolling Stones at the Marquee, with Mick Taylor on guitar.  Nothing fancy about his tone (or his playing to be honest), just a nice warm break-up tone with his Gibson SG straight into an amp.

So I thought I'd go back to basics this afternoon, no pedals, no MFX units, just my LP Custom through my Laney Cub 12R, dialed in the same type of warm 'break-up' tone, added a little reverb, and been playing for the last couple of hours loads of Stones/blues stuff with a big smile on my face, just backing off tone & volume on the LP as needed.  Very enjoyable & very liberating.  

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615

Very sensible...should do it more often...I think sometimes too much time is spent trying to get a tone or sound by tweaking this and that instead of just enjoying playing...bit like life I guess..can be as simple or difficult as you make it sometimes

Sounds like you had a great afternoon...will set you up well for a happy weekend

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2549
    Sweet! I do that all the time, I love 'pure' tone. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9661
    Although I own a few pedals I've pretty much stopped using them. For a couple of years now I've just set my amp so that it's on the edge of break up when the guitar's volume is set at around 6 or 7. Then I just ride the volume to either clean things up or to get more grit. 
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3045
    Last time I rehearsed with my band (now finished) I just used a tuner and noise gate into the amp with just my LP. Much better than multi effects bullcrap, something very satisfying about it too.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    I have a few pedals as boosts/different shade of gain type pedals but always end up going back to just using amp distortion. I've never used much in the way of effects anyway, only recently I've added a chorus and delay and feel a bit dirty for doing so. 

For me the amp always has to be set up as a single channel amp as well, I much prefer rolling off the volume to clean up over using a channel switcher.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7333
    anything into just a Tweed Deluxe...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Nope, guitar without fx is like an egg without salt. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    Not entirely without effects...digital reverb built into the Cub.  

I did say sometimes its nice to get back to basic...but you do need fx when playing different styles inc delay, tube screamer, phaser etc. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    edited March 2017
    I personally dont understand why some players get into extremes, either no effects or all of them on all the time. I currently play in two projects one acoustic and one covers band. In one I use an acoustic and in the other I have a large pedalboard. My pedals have off switches. 

So use the setup that suits the set. 

Voxman said:

I did say sometimes its nice to get back to basic...but you do need fx when playing different styles inc delay, tube screamer, phaser etc. 
    Yeah, a lot of what I do now is just driven guitar, not much modulation or delay etc. 

Its just that in my mind gain or drive IS an effect, so unless you are playing Jazz or Acoustic ( country guys have their compressors from birth) you are using fx.  
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    Voxman said:

Yeah, a lot of what I do now is just driven guitar, not much modulation or delay etc. 

Its just that in my mind gain or drive IS an effect, so unless you are playing Jazz or Acoustic ( country guys have their compressors from birth) you are using fx.  
    Don't forget the natural drive/gain in the Cub. 
    Voxman said:
    Voxman said:

Don't forget the natural drive/gain in the Cub. 
    Yeah I still see that as an effect. 
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    I don't understand...
    samzadgan said:
    I don't understand...
    I mean that Drive even from an amp is an effect, so in essence someone plugging into a booster and stacking a couple of drive pedals is no different from someone playing straight into an overdriving amp. 

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5133
    slacker said:
    I personally dont understand why some players get into extremes, either no effects or all of them on all the time. I currently play in two projects one acoustic and one covers band. In one I use an acoustic and in the other I have a large pedalboard. My pedals have off switches. 

So use the setup that suits the set. 

Yep, this. If the music you want to make doesn't need effects, don't use them. If it does, do. 

I get how it could be helpful to a player who feels they're starting to get over-reliant on effects to take them all away for a while.

When I'm writing with a band I tend to start with all my effects turned off (except the small amount of distortion that comes from my amp), then bring them in if I think they're appropriate. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    samzadgan said:
    I don't understand...
    I mean that Drive even from an amp is an effect, so in essence someone plugging into a booster and stacking a couple of drive pedals is no different from someone playing straight into an overdriving amp. 

Ha...no I meant...guitar and amp only...I don't understand. 

It was joke, as I like some others run 10 pedals before getting to the front end of an amp...cutting that out is so foreign to me.

having said that, I just played straight into my new jtm45 on clean, and that was glorious...so I get it. 
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1454
    My favourite amp for this is the Bad Cat Black Cat 30. lovely compression that no pedal can match 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3584
    I have a reasonably big pedal board which is almost always used at gigs (pop/funk), I have a few spares and a power supply with festoon type multi taps which is in my carrier bag lightweigh get away.and rehearsal setup. At home I almost never use FX (months since I last did iirc). Once you get a decent (dare I say valve) amp and guitar setup the direct interaction of the two coupled is a thing of beauty. I wish i could get away with it live more ofton.
  • Pedal boards are like a woman's holiday shoe fetish -you just always need a slightly different variety to meet an unspecified need.   Barefoot is good