Boss RE20 Space Echo psu

What's Hot
JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
I just bought a used re20 and i've discovered it produces a noise that sounds like a tv that's not been tuned in when powered via my Johnny Shredfreak psu, even when in bypass. I realise that this is normal and that I need an isolated psu. I could buy the Boss recommended psu for 25 quid or would I be better off paying a bit more for a proper isolated unit? Bearing in mind I no issues powering my other pedals with my JSF psu, is it worth the extra expense? Also, are there any cheaper alternatives to the Boss psu?
My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12900
    I'd heard bad things about the noise on the RE-20 but mine seems pretty quiet, even daisy chained. 

Have you tried it on the Shredfreak PSU with nothing else plugged in? Or on batteries? Just to make sure its definitely an isolation problem. 
  • I just bought a used re20 and i've discovered it produces a noise that sounds like a tv that's not been tuned in when powered via my Johnny Shredfreak psu, even when in bypass. I realise that this is normal and that I need an isolated psu. I could buy the Boss recommended psu for 25 quid or would I be better off paying a bit more for a proper isolated unit? Bearing in mind I no issues powering my other pedals with my JSF psu, is it worth the extra expense? Also, are there any cheaper alternatives to the Boss psu?
    I've got mine on a diago micropower9 6-way daisychain. No noise problems (other pedals are yer predictable sprinkling of low-current OD, trem, boost, compressor etc). I think the diago might be slightly more expensive than the boss but you can run 1000mA worth of pedals off it and it's much smaller. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    My RE-20 was as noisy as anything -- I even posted on here about it - running from my Diago. 
    No problems whatsoever since running it from isolated power.  (Usually a Cioks DC5 but also another unbranded one.)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    You can buy a Diago isolater that will go in between your daisy chain and the RE20 ( as has been said checking the noise problem is still there when it is the only thing direct off your PSU). About £20 I think.
    The Harley Benton PowerPlant Jr seems to be the very cheapest way of getting a PSU with isolated outputs, you'll need to check it outputs enough power though (120 per output, that's 600ma in total and you'll need about 1.5 times your pedal's  total to be sure ).
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Yeah check the power requirement, the DD-20 needs 200ma.  I use two outputs of my HB Power Plant Jr as mentioned above,  with a current doubler cable, which it comes with.

Or maybe it comes with a voltage doubler, I can't remember, one of them comes with it and I bought the other one.  They're not the same thing :)
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    clarkefan said:
    Yeah check the power requirement, the DD-20 needs 200ma....  
    I bought the other one.  They're not the same thing :)
    Indeed, not even the same pedal... ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    edited March 2017
    Boss website says 75 ma for the re20. I'll look onto a Diago isolator or the HB. Thanks for the suggestions.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    Does the HB Powerplant Jr fit under a Pedaltrain?
    Quick Google suggests it depends on which Pedaltrain - Jr and bigger you should be okay apparently. 
    Thanks for the info.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    Quick Google suggests it depends on which Pedaltrain - Jr and bigger you should be okay apparently. 
    For the sake of confirmation, I keep a powerplant jr under my PTJr  

all my gear is juvenile
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    bbill335 said:
    For the sake of confirmation, I keep a powerplant jr under my PTJr  

all my gear is juvenile
    Crybaby wah? Babyface tremolo? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom