Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Favourite 'obscure' band?

What's Hot

Comments

• MossMoss Frets: 2409
    So obscure they only released 1 7" single

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you 400 Years Of What...

Stop crying, start buying
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    There's this band called Arena. And they're just weird, if you ask me. 

I had this album on CD - it's called "Contagion", and I don't even really know where I got it from and I just remember that I don't have it anymore. It's just that little bit too weird. I think it's the singer's voice and singing style that make it utterly creepy, and weird to listen to.

Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    Tellison.  

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5458
    dEUS. They should be massive but somehow aren't.

And for something heavier, Voivod.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    My favourite bands are relatively obscure

I am bonded for life to my favourite band Pendragon. Pretty unknown for a band who have been around for about 40 years.

My other fave band, discovered a few years ago is the beautiful Big Big Train. A quintessentially English contemporary prog band. If you are a prog fan, check  out 'Victorian Brickwork live' on YouTube. A great track with a beautiful Horn closing section.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3185
    edited March 2017
    +1 for @digitalkettle flagging of Dawes, a great band for the country rock lovers.
    I've been a fan of Bell X1 since the early days, they are well respected in Ireland but never seemed to break over here (UK). Originally they were Damian Rice's band, he left when they got 'too Radiohead'; his career became an exercise in re-hashing the same thing over multiple albums (as beautiful as the first time round was) whilst Bell x1 continued to experiment and grow and have ended a long way off from where Radiohead are. Not immediately guitar dominated but they have a knack with a hook and Paul Noonan is a very clever lyricist.
  • GarpGarp Frets: 209
    edited March 2017
    axisus said:
    My favourite bands are relatively obscure

I am bonded for life to my favourite band Pendragon. Pretty unknown for a band who have been around for about 40 years.

My other fave band, discovered a few years ago is the beautiful Big Big Train. A quintessentially English contemporary prog band. If you are a prog fan, check  out 'Victorian Brickwork live' on YouTube. A great track with a beautiful Horn closing section.

Big Big Big Train fan - "The Underfall Yard" is a great album and the live/studio DVD is superb. I wasn't so keen on the "Folklore" album but there's a new one coming out in April.

The guitarist in Big Big Train is Dave Gregory (ex XTC) who is also in one of my fav "obscure" bands (with Daniel Steinhardt from That Pedal Show) - Tin Spirits. "Scorch" was my favourite album from 2014:

There's this band called Arena. And they're just weird, if you ask me. 

Another favourite is Frost* - I'm a fan of Jon Mitchell's playing in all his projects (including Arena!) - love the solo at about 6 mins:

Another band I don't hear much about are The Pineapple Thief:

It's only got five strings... and three of them are G.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    Fuengi said:
    Agree with @Kebabkid ;Jellyfish were a superb band, Bellybutton is a fantastic album.
    +1 for Jellyfish. I still enjoy Bellybutton - played LOUD. Another similar band was The Montrose Avenue, great but sadly short-lived. Going back much further Capability Brown (not the gardener) was a brilliant band without any real success.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    I saw Matchbox Twenty live in a club in Australia back in '98 or around then....

Mine would have to be Taddy Porter. They have a new album due out in May.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Sven Gali

2 albums in the early-mid 1990's then they seemed to disappear.

Newer Methodica, I saw them support Queensryche last year.........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Life sex and death

Army of anyone, with the two brothers from stone temple pilots and the singer from filter 

• lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I'm guessing that not many people have heard of Spc Eco, who are comprised of Dean Garcia from Curve and his daughter Rose in vocals. They're ace.

Also, Lucky, a band from Northampton who are one of the best new bands I've heard in ages.

Although a few people on here have heard of them, Besnard Lakes aren't exactly a household name. Oh, and I'm getting quite into Black Mountain at the moment too.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 912

Threshold 
    Pagan's Mind
    Frost
    The Flower Kings
    Spock's Beard
    Flying Colors

bit of a prog theme here.

• JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    I'm guessing that not many people have heard of Spc Eco, who are comprised of Dean Garcia from Curve and his daughter Rose in vocals. They're ace.

Also, Lucky, a band from Northampton who are one of the best new bands I've heard in ages.

Although a few people on here have heard of them, Besnard Lakes aren't exactly a household name. Oh, and I'm getting quite into Black Mountain at the moment too.

Ahh, I saw SPC Eco around 5 /6 years ago at a small pub in East London. I'm pretty sure Garcia's son was/is playing guitar.

Sadly they had a few sound issues that evening, the pub was know for it.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26918
    The Envy Corps. My old band supported this lot when they had their one and only major label album. Noone bought it so they got dropped. But it's brilliant, and the followup is also brilliant in a more-Radiohead blippy-bloppy kinda way. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3185
    edited March 2017
    Agreed with @lasermonkey, caught Lucky supporting Climbing Trees a little while back. Blown away isn't the word, we were all pinching ourselves it was unreal how good they were -and the best bit, I don't think they realised just how good they were/are -there is something very endearing about genuine ability with a total lack of arrogance. Keep an eye out for them, they are well worth it.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4996
    Life sex and death

When Alex was living over here and doing Antiproduct he told me that they toured all over the states for months to promote  the album and sold about 30,000. A week or so after they finished touring they got a "this rocks" on Beavis and Butthead and double their sales in a week, 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2218
    edited March 2017
    The Twilight Sad are still I suppose relatively obscure. One of my favourite bands of all time, hugely recommended.

Also saw Ringo Deathstarr supporting Smashing Pumpkins at Brixton Academy a few years back and they are brilliant.

Echolake are stunning as well.
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    @Teyeplayer I caught Lucky at their first ever gig. They were incredibly nervous, but were amazing.
    I've seen Joel Harries (guitar and BVs) play solo a few times previously, so I knew they were going to be good.
    I missed their last gig, as I wasn't well, but hopefully they will be playing again soon.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4692
    I loved this lot back in the day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2adRKEt2csM
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.