Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Favourite 'obscure' band?

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    lukedlb said:
    MC5
    hell, the only reason I picked up an lp was the album cover and the cool name. What a discovery. Kick out the jams, ramblin rose. My vote for most important but relatively unknown band of the 20th Century. 
    Sesh said:
    As good as the MC5 are, you can't call a band that's sold that many T-shirts obscure.
    I haven't seen it for a bit but there's a good documentary about MC5 giving all the social background to the band in Detroit at the time that was shown on BBC 4. 
    Lemmy said many times that they were the model for Motörhead and quite a few people have covered MC5 dongs so they've had quite a lasting influence. I guess on a guitar forum they'll be relatively well known, back in the real world they'd be considered obscure. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    I suppose there's two types of obscure. The ones everyone has heard of ( velvets etc) and that really are obscure. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Man, this thread is great. One of the best things about this board for me is the sharing of bands to listen to. I've always been looking for a place like this on the net and have found so many bands since joining 2 years ago.

:D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Listened to this for the first time in ages the other day. Japanese melodic death metal band called, preposterously, Intestine Baalism.

Fantastic if you like that sort of thing - a little heavier than At The Gates and other melodeath bands. Really cool music and vibe.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495

I don't know what bands I like that really obscure. I mean, there's loads of stuff I'm into that people probably haven't heard of but you guys will have. My other half reckons everything I listen to is obscure!
    But here's a selection:
    The Soft Boys
    Here & Now
    Black Angels
    Circulus
    Brian Jonestown Massacre
    Wooden Shjips/ Moon Duo
    Neu!
    Wolf People
    Dengue Fever
    Broadcast
    Mellow Candle
    Levitation etc., etc.

I would add Gong, Hawkwind (pre-1979!), MC5, Spacemen3, Robyn Hitchcock and The Church, but I think they are pretty well-known too, although not to people I work with, haha. :)
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    Whores & Wavves are probably the two that stand out for me.

There's a lot of obscure stoner rock bands I'm into who I've found via YouTube.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    Not 'terribly' obscure - but I feel that The Shrine should be a lot bigger than they currently are. Incredibly catchy slacker-skate-stoner-punk. Black Flag meets Fu Manchu.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4999
    dogload said:

I don't know what bands I like that really obscure. I mean, there's loads of stuff I'm into that people probably haven't heard of but you guys will have. My other half reckons everything I listen to is obscure!
    But here's a selection:
    The Soft Boys
    Here & Now
    Black Angels
    Circulus
    Brian Jonestown Massacre
    Wooden Shjips/ Moon Duo
    Neu!
    Wolf People
    Dengue Fever
    Broadcast
    Mellow Candle
    Levitation etc., etc.

I would add Gong, Hawkwind (pre-1979!), MC5, Spacemen3, Robyn Hitchcock and The Church, but I think they are pretty well-known too, although not to people I work with, haha. :)
    Circulus were fanastic. Shame they imploded as they wre on the cusp of big things 
    Some bands i like that peolle may not know.

Bang
    Mayblitz
    Crushed Butler
    Captain Beyond
    Buffalo
    Bodkin
    Medieval Steel
    Warlord 
    Q5
    Cirith Ungol
    Holy Terror
    Atheist 
    Sa Slayer
    Trespass
    Mind Over 4
    Amebix
    Dr Shrinker

And recent bands
    Torture chain
    Mgla
    Stone Dagger
    In Solitude 
    Warning

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Those Men

An essex based band who self-published a superb album called "Sobgod", which still gets loads of airtime at home.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    I'm tempted to make up a none-existent band and post about how brilliant they are....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I can't think of many obscure bands. Maybe The Janitors? I saw them at the Sugarhouse in Lancaster in 1990 I think, and previously had bought their "Thunderhead Johnny" EP or whatever it's called.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Gong 
    Primus 
    Deadhappy 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Reverend said:

Bang
    Mayblitz
    Crushed Butler
    Captain Beyond
    Buffalo
    Bodkin
    Medieval Steel
    Warlord 
    Q5
    Cirith Ungol
    Holy Terror
    Atheist 
    Sa Slayer
    Trespass
    Mind Over 4
    Amebix
    Dr Shrinker

And recent bands
    Torture chain
    Mgla
    Stone Dagger
    In Solitude 
    Warning

I'm tempted to make up a none-existent band and post about how brilliant they are....
    I'm quite tempted to suggest @richardhomer that you've already been beaten to that... :neutral: 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    I'm quite tempted to suggest @richardhomer that you've already been beaten to that... :neutral: 
    Funny you should say that - someone was telling me the other day that the word 'gullible' doesn't appear in the dictionary.

I'll have to check if they're right....
    Reverend said:

Bang
    Mayblitz
    Crushed Butler
    Captain Beyond
    Buffalo
    Bodkin
    Medieval Steel
    Warlord 
    Q5
    Cirith Ungol
    Holy Terror
    Atheist 
    Sa Slayer
    Trespass
    Mind Over 4
    Amebix
    Dr Shrinker

And recent bands
    Torture chain
    Mgla
    Stone Dagger
    In Solitude 
    Warning

Every person who posts here know the name of Q5's guitarist. Although they may not realise it. 

A couple of those bands are hugely influential and couple have links to other very well known bands,  Stone Dagger however have so far only one the one demo tape which was then released on 7". 
  • starwarsnosebleedstarwarsnosebleed Frets: 2357
    edited March 2017
    Love May Blitz @Reverend ;;Lots of proto-stoner in there.
    Have you heard Sir Lord Baltimore? ...And High tide-Sea shanties LP? Id imagine you have, but if not, they're great albums and would be right up your street i reckon.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    Reverend said:

Every person who posts here know the name of Q5's guitarist. Although they may not realise it. 

Just to be a bit of a smartarse, I'll say it.  Mr Floyd Rose.  Great first album, horrendous second album (IMO, of course).

For what it's worth, I must admit I've only heard of seven or eight of the bands on your list.  None of the recent ones.

Love May Blitz @Reverend ;;;Lots of proto-stoner in there.
    Have you heard Sir Lord Baltimore? ...And High tide-Sea shanties LP? Id imagine you have, but if not, they're great albums and would be right up your street i reckon.
    Yeah, big fan of both of them. I'm a big fan of a lot the 70s proto metal bands although I'm not too worried about buying originals as they tend to be too pricey. My girlfriend collects only 70's vinyl whereas I'm more than happy to buy reissues. 
  • Adorable - albums out of print, not on iTunes.  Largely forgotten and overlooked early 90's indie band who were dropped by Creation. Against perfection remains one of my favourite albums.