NYXL strings on a Strat

What's Hot
mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
One word. Don't

Unless you want to lose that springy, bouncy Strat sound. Sure, these strings last forever, but they have a somewhat strident tone that loses all that crystalline goodness.

Switched back to a set of Ernie Ball hybrid slinkies today and it's a relief to get my sound back.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3435
    I fear change.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    Mmm. Just bought a set (BTW, they're D'addarios and touted as the Second Coming in strings and not cheap) plus, I'm a Strat player!!! :(

Thanks @mellowsun and if I take the plunge and change them, I'll see what happens
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Hmmm, I have a set waiting to go on a Strat. Calling @Adji, should we expect a change in tone?
    Here's the bumf:
    D’Addario NYXL guitar strings will bend farther, sing louder, and stay in tune better than any string you’ve played before. Envisioned, perfected, and manufactured by D’Addario in New York, this newly engineered, break-resistant, high-carbon steel core and plain steel alloy delivers a whole new level of freedom, confidence, and power. NYXL’s provide more strength and up to 131% greater tuning stability by utilizing a completely reinvented wire drawing process coupled with a revolutionary “fusion twist” process for the plain steels. The reformulated nickel plated string windings have greater magnetic properties resulting in higher output and enhanced mid-range frequency response for more presence and crunch.

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    They do stay in tune well. They play, sound and feel quite like stainless steel strings. It's not a vintage Strat sound. However, I do quite like them on my semi-acoustic.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    I'm a big fan of D'Addario strings - I've used them pretty much exclusively for over 20 years - but I'm struggling to understand how these can have '131% greater tuning stability'. Assuming your guitar's set up correctly and the strings are properly stretched, surely are strings are 'stable'?

I believe 79% of all statistics are made up on the spot....
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7321
    I tried a set of daddario pro steels on my strat, and its probably one of the least enjoyable gigs I've ever had. Was hoping they wouldn't be like that as I was going to buy a set for my Parker.
    I'm not even going to try them and they can go back to GG for 2-3 sets of regular D'addarios.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I hated the NYXL strings, to me they just didn't work. Packet feels nice though.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12885
    I loved my NYXL strings, they're great. 

I don't have a strat though. 
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3044
    I've got a set on my RG. Honestly can't tell the difference between these and regular sets. 
  • NickNick Frets: 98
    On the guitar, NYXL's felt tighter and harder (no jokes please). I went back to regular sets as I was more accustomed. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26560
    I've just put a set of 9-46 NYXLs on my Jaden Rose Tele. Coming from Elixirs, I find they actually have less tension and are easier to play. I also changed the bridge pickup from a Hot Rails to a Red Lace Sensor, so it's not exactly a completely true test, but...it doesn't feel like I've lost anything tone-wise. If anything, they seem slightly more lively, but that could be the lower tension (it's not the newness, because the Elixirs only went on there a week prior).
    <space for hire>
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    I put NYXLs on my McCarty and really wasn't impressed at the start.  They did seem to sweeten up after 2 or 3 weeks however although definitely a different feel to my normal EXLs.  Wouldn't say they're worth paying extra for.
  • BradBrad Frets: 658
    I've tried a couple of sets, now. Most recently I snapped a high E (.11) after about 4-5 gigs so I don't know if they're any stronger than regular D'addario strings.

I quite liked them, felt a little more slinky to me and seemed to last longer (apart from the snappage), dunno if thats a bit of a placebo effect though.
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    I love them. I've used Ernie Ball 9s all my life, but tried the NYXLs out a few months ago and I'm totally converted. Feel better, a bit springier, and sound better for longer. 
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Love them. Maybee some slight EQ but otherwise great. They really take abuse and have a nice, punchy output. They also last a lot longer than normal Dads
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 142
    tFB Trader
    Sorry I'm late to the party, MEGA busy recently.

Yes you should expect a difference in tone. The materials have an inherent bump / boost at between around 1.5 and 3.5khz which is the upper mid / lower treble range so they are not really designed for a vintage tone but a more modern, mid-heavy sound.

Those who arn't sure about the tuning stability I highly recommend you test it for yourself, I was literally amazed when I first tried them out! The stronger, tougher material holds tuning better under tension than any other string on the market (though I'm looking forward to comparing with the new Ernie Ball Paradigms).

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2365
    Yeah, they're dreadful. I was given a pack by a friend and fitted them to my Tom Anderson.....first strum sounded like I'd fitted an old set of strings.....duller than dull. Pass.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Probably perfect then for rock/metal but not if you want Knopfler tones