AvalonAndyAvalonAndy Frets: 326
edited January 2019 in Studio & Recording
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'd stick with the same series of interfaces in this situation personally. That way there shouldn't be any surprises with performance and you can just get on with stuff!
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2410
    Does your Mac have a Thunderbolt port?
  • AvalonAndyAvalonAndy Frets: 326
    edited January 2019
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    edited March 2017
    Very low latency is extremely important to me, which is why I got a Zoom UAC-2 connected to a USB 3.0 port.

I believe it needs to be connected to a USB 3.0 port and that USB 2.0 won't give such a low latency.
    It's not a competition.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2410
    I would avoid Firewire as it's pretty much a dead format now and is no longer officially supported in Mac OS.

You will typically get better low-latency performance with Thunderbolt than USB, though more manufacturers are at last cottoning on to this and developing better USB drivers. Anything RME is always good. Zoom's TAC-2 is a nice piece of kit and I'm told their UAC-series USB interfaces have very good driver software too. The new Focusrite Clarett and second-generation Scarletts are also nice, and excellent value.
  • Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 150
    I really like the focusrite gear, great quality both in physical and sound terms and you get plenty of cool extras, but I'd be tempted stick to what you know with MOTU on this one.
  • AvalonAndyAvalonAndy Frets: 326
    edited January 2019
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    @AvalonAndy if you have any interest in an Edirol FA-66 please PM me.  Basically, it's Firewire; I have one I no longer use, and it would be cheap.  [/spam]  No problem if it's not on your radar. 
  • I would go for RME - they continue to update drivers constantly that are always rock solid and as a bonus the totalmix software is outstanding. Cheap secondhand Babyface is compact, has 2 in and 2 out including isntrument level input and can also take 8 channels of adat in and out. Motu don't tend to update their software so well. Got rid of all my MOTU firewire devices as the drivers just refused to play ball.
  • oafoaf Frets: 300
    Another vote for RME. Very happy Babyface Pro user here.

RME drivers/TotalMix software is excellent.
  • Just to add RME are possibly cheaper in the long run as they keep their drivers, and mixer application, so up to date.