Recommend a good pedal power supply.

What's Hot
TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7826
Looking for it to be very reliable and robust.  Must be able to supply up to 15 pedals without noise or interference, and cope with 9, 12, and 18v.  

Preferably, not a huge footprint.
Im using a cheap, and a mid priced unit now. The mid priced one has killed two pedals worth £200+ each, the combination of the two is noisy. Needs some quality. 

Thanks

Marlin 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7155
    Eventide powerfactor 2 should do the trick. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    GigRig. Expensive, but scalable, reliable, quiet and doesn't take up tons of room.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24204
    Gigrig. 
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    Gigrig system. You will never run out of power and the combination of  modules such as distributors, isolators, voltage doublers, etc will mean it will work with pretty much every system. It's not cheap, but quality rarely is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    What exact pedals do you want to power? 

What is your existing PSU and what pedals did it kill?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7826

Existing is Dunlop Power Brick, and cheap is Caline unit from eBay.
    killed a rare hand painted Pigtronix Tremvelope, and a Strymon El Capistan. 

Both beyond repair.

Gutted.  

M :(
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    I've had close 15 pedals on my board...cioks is great as Gav has already said. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited March 2017
    Another plus one for the GigRig Generator and add-ons.
    The basic Generator is just for 9V with loads of power on tap. It's small plus it has an intelligent power sensor that detects other non-UK voltages so you can use it abroad without any issues.
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/mc403-power-system

Worth a look but big footprint.......less spendy than others. I got mine here and it works well.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    TheMarlin said:

Both beyond repair.

Gutted.  

How did that happen?
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    The Vitoos DC-8 *might* be able to do it - two isolated outputs (9/12/18V, 1000mA each), and six non-isolated outputs for a total of 300mA, 9V. Very quiet, and rock solid (for me, at least).
    <space for hire>
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4689

I've been very happy with my ISO 5.  It does 9v, 12v and 18v, although possibly not enough outputs.  I daisy chain pedals that are happy to work together so effectively I power about 12 pedals including 1 hungry digital one.  Dirt pedals I just put on a daisy chain.   What I've found is most collections of pedals don't need complete isolation, just enough to keep the dirty ones away from the others. 

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    15 outputs is a lot, and more than the number of outputs that most power supplies have.  However, you can normally run several low power pedals (e.g. boost/compressor/drive pedals) together on a daisy chain off one output.  I run around 12 pedals off of a Hot Stone Deluxe this way.

What you need will depend on what pedals you have.  If you have lots of high current digital pedals you will need to spend more than if you have 10 drive pedals and a handful of digital ones.

While it's ok to daisy chain some pedals together I would definitely try and run digital pedals off of isolated outputs.  You can sometimes get weird things happening with tuners as well.  I'd try and keep a tuner pedal on its own isolated output as well.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7826
    jpfamps said:
    TheMarlin said:

Both beyond repair.

Gutted.  

How did that happen?
    I had both pedals running, my foot caught the edge of the power supply, and one of the power leads (to the pedals) came out.  Must have caused some kind of power surge/short that fried the two pedals simultaneously.  The air was blue that day at Marlin towers.  I had them checked out, they were toasted beyond all hope.  Loved those two pedals too.  
    Never trusted the power supplies since. 

I'm experimenting a lot with pedals at the moment, so run between 8 and 15 pedals (size limit).  Just added two new ones (Moore Rat clone to goose my Reverb Tank, and Nocturne Atomic Brain - Pre Amp).   So, back up to 15 on the board.  Most power requirement is for various delay effects, and MXR M300 reverb pedal (i use tank and pedal for different reverb effects). 
    I usually use two drives for stacking. One low gain, one even lower, boosts, Sonic Stomp clone, wah, several fuzz units.......also added a Symbal Pre Driver...  will probably settle on 8-10 pedals. 

Trying out compressors at the moment, but they just bewilder me.  But, I don't do gain much, and hate country music, so probably not meant for me.  Ho hum...

My core tone is low powered pickups into 5E3 on edge of breakup, but working hard.