Played a worryingly nice Larrivee the other day

It was a mahogany/spruce dread with satin finish around the £750 price bracket. Made me seriously question whether I ultimately want to hang on years for a Martin D-18. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Larrivee guitars are awesome. I was torn between a Taylor and a Martin. Then played a Larrivee OM-10 and that was it. Amazing guitars that are still very well priced.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    buy it, buy it now!!!!!!

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    I sold my Taylor 314ce, but kept several Larrivees. Excellent quality and value. Frailers usually has a few used ones in at reasonable prices (and Martins, Gibsons and Taylors for that matter)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    It was a mahogany/spruce dread with satin finish around the £750 price bracket. Made me seriously question whether I ultimately want to hang on years for a Martin D-18. 
    They're different from Martins, so if you liked the Larry maybe a Martin is not for you anyway!

Either way they're exceptionally high quality guitars for not exceptionally high prices - especially second hand, they don't seem to hold their value as well as the more traditional names - which is unfair.

A friend of mine has a 12-fret Dreadnought in sunburst which is just beautiful, both to look at and to hear. The build quality is stunning - I'm very hesitant to say 'perfect' about anything, but it's one of the only guitars I've ever seen which is literally flawless as far as I can tell. Surprisingly for a Lariveé, it actually sounds quite Gibson-like.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884

I have a 12 fret Larrivee SD-60 (sloped dreadnought), it is the one Larrivee  I kept when I moved to small-shop-made acoustics

stunning tone - you would pay double for that tone from anyone else in my experience

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72244

I have a 12 fret Larrivee SD-60 (sloped dreadnought), it is the one Larrivee  I kept when I moved to small-shop-made acoustics

stunning tone - you would pay double for that tone from anyone else in my experience

I think that's the model he has too.

For me personally, Larriveés don't quite do it - the tone is too 'pretty' and refined and maybe a bit bright, I prefer the rougher old-school Martin/Gibson/Guild 'thuddy' type of sound - but that one is the best I've ever played.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:

I think that's the model he has too.

For me personally, Larriveés don't quite do it - the tone is too 'pretty' and refined and maybe a bit bright, I prefer the rougher old-school Martin/Gibson/Guild 'thuddy' type of sound - but that one is the best I've ever played.
    I have an SD50 - hog back and sides, SD60 is rosewood and it is awesome. Also have a C09 and OM09. Prefer Larrys to Taylor or Martin. Seriously good guitars
  • ICBM said:

I'd go with that - the sound was definitely more 'hi-fi' than my J-45 which is very much mid focused.