Partscaster Project... Almost Complete!!

What's Hot

Comments

• sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Looking  good!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    I was expecting the headstock to be more difficult taking the stain, but it's come out better than expected.  :)

Now I just have to be patient and wait for the Tru Oil to arrive.

I'm not a patient man...
    I'm doing an ash body with tru oil. Patience is the key. One coat every 24 hours. Be worth the wait.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    That looks much better than I expected, it will look great with a bit of shine....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

paulnb57 said:
    That looks much better than I expected, it will look great with a bit of shine....
    Oh ye of little faith!  ;)

Before I get onto the oiling stage, the end aim is for this to look like a well-used guitar.  Now, I'm going to be very careful about this; not reliced, but a well used but looked after guitar.  I want it to be convincingly 70s, but not dragged through a woodchipper backwards 70s.

So little bits of wear, tarnishing and the odd bump and nick.  That's why there are a couple of spots of pink from the previous finish still deep in the grain and a couple of dings that I'm deliberately leaving.  I'm not adding any more wear, but not panicking if there's the odd bump and bruise along the way.

With that in mind, I need a way to lightly - and I mean lightly - dull the finish on the new black scratchplate.  Any suggestions for a very light touch on that?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    edited March 2017
    Rox said:
    paulnb57 said:
    Oh ye of little faith! 

Before I get onto the oiling stage, the end aim is for this to look like a well-used guitar.  Now, I'm going to be very careful about this; not reliced, but a well used but looked after guitar.  I want it to be convincingly 70s, but not dragged through a woodchipper backwards 70s.

So little bits of wear, tarnishing and the odd bump and nick.  That's why there are a couple of spots of pink from the previous finish still deep in the grain and a couple of dings that I'm deliberately leaving.  I'm not adding any more wear, but not panicking if there's the odd bump and bruise along the way.

With that in mind, I need a way to lightly - and I mean lightly - dull the finish on the new black scratchplate.  Any suggestions for a very light touch on that?
    1200-2000g wet & dry followed by a buff with 0000 wire wool and wax. Final buff with a soft cloth
    Thanks @WezV

I've decided to give myself a rule:  if while I'm putting this together, oiling, staining etc, I say to myself "I wonder what would happen if..." I ignore myself.

Whenever I attempt a "what would happen if.." a major fruck up always follows...  ;)
    Okay, so bear in mind I still haven't had the oil arrive.  What I have done is whacked on a few coats of sanding sealer and buffed etc between coats:

http://inspireyourdog.com/misc/pp/Shiny01.jpg

http://inspireyourdog.com/misc/pp/Shiny02.jpg

http://inspireyourdog.com/misc/pp/Shiny03.jpg

I can only guess what will happen when the oil goes on... I might keep the number of coats quite low; I'm loving the light sheen rather than full on gloss.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    I like the sheen too...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Looking alright, I reckon.  :)

Waiting on some bits and bobs courtesy of a trade with @photek and hoping I'll be patient at the oiling stage - following some tips from @Rabs :)

Then I need to raise the money for the Wilkinson Bridge - that, the decal paper and a cap should be the only bits and bobs I still need (other than brass / gold knobs if I went that route).

Actually, I tell a lie - I realise I have no strings either...  :D
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    tFB Trader
    Rox said:
    Looking alright, I reckon.  :)

Waiting on some bits and bobs courtesy of a trade with @photek and hoping I'll be patient at the oiling stage - following some tips from @Rabs :)

Then I need to raise the money for the Wilkinson Bridge - that, the decal paper and a cap should be the only bits and bobs I still need (other than brass / gold knobs if I went that route).

Actually, I tell a lie - I realise I have no strings either...  :D

I will tell you what..  Rothko and Frost do amazing decals...  They use really thin sheets and they go on really well.. I was once watching a Luthier in Australia who orders them from the UK cos they are the best hes ever seen.. 

http://www.rothkoandfrost.com/custom-waterslide-decals-uk-for-guitars-bikes/

• SargeSarge Frets: 2370
    That's looking really nice Rox! 
    What sanding sealer are you using? 
    I've used R&K decals a few times and they are unbelievable! If you go that route then they can't take oil, has to be nitro/acrylic /poly by spray and the first 3 or 4 coats need to be really light dusting coats or the decal shrivels, I found out the hard way! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    tFB Trader
    Sarge said:
    That's looking really nice Rox! 
    What sanding sealer are you using? 
    I've used R&K decals a few times and they are unbelievable! If you go that route then they can't take oil, has to be nitro/acrylic /poly by spray and the first 3 or 4 coats need to be really light dusting coats or the decal shrivels, I found out the hard way! 

Yes..  Very good point..   I tried to oil it once, it just desintigrates..  You must stick some sort of clear ploy spray or whatever over the top before you oil...

Ohh and by the way, the guitar is looking real nice :)

@Sarge it's Chestnut Shellac Sanding Sealer:

http://www.yandles.co.uk/images/products/large/3664.jpg

I'm just wiping it on the body quickly and thinly with a cloth, letting it dry and then using fine sandpaper or dry cloth to flatten and buff up.  The pack says it dries Matt, but more coats and buffing will get a higher shine when a final finish is added.

@Rabs - thought I might start off making my own decals in case I make a mistake... :D  But they do look really good.. I'm more doubtful of my own skills :D
    sawyer said:
    I'm doing an ash body with tru oil. Patience is the key. One coat every 24 hours. Be worth the wait.
    Any pics, @sawyer:)
    Can't figure out how to post pics :( .ill change my avatar pic to give you an idea. mine's just natural ash. Given it about 10 coats now wet sanding inbetween with wet/dry using the oil itself as the 'wet'. Easy to do but really just take your time. Yours is looking proper good! Liking it.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4086
    Looks tops with the gold hardware and black pickguard, love the unfilled grain too.

For years I thought I didn't like gold hardware - now own a Strat, Ibanez Artcore semi, and Les Paul with gold.  So much for that theory.  It's lovely when it starts to dull and wear with a bit of playing.
    Same here, actually, @randella - I can't stand blingy gold.  I've never seen the appeal of Gold in general to be honest... but that worn, well used, tarnished look makes it just right...
    edited March 2017
    So... the Tru Oil arrived... and I've applied the first coat to the front and sides.

I only bought the 3oz bottle, and when I saw the bottle, I worried I'd bought too little.  Anyhow, I pressed ahead, putting what I thought was a small amount onto the front.  As soon as the oily liquid hits the wood it inexplicably quadruples it's coverage.  You're swamped in the stuff!

So when people say use it sparingly, they're underselling it!! astonished

When that first coat is dry I'll take a photo, and then add that to the gallery below...  Quite a journey so far!

http://inspireyourdog.com/misc/pp/Body03.jpg
    http://inspireyourdog.com/misc/pp/Body04.jpg
    http://inspireyourdog.com/misc/pp/Stained01.jpg
    http://inspireyourdog.com/misc/pp/Shiny01.jpg

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom