Partscaster Project... Almost Complete!!

What's Hot

Comments

• RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    tFB Trader
    Shweeeeeeeeettttt ....  Good work  looks awesome.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Cheers @Rabs ;

I'm a bit concerned though... by now I've usually royally screwed things up with an ill-advised experiment or impatience... so I'm overdue a big muck up one way or another...!  :D
    tFB Trader

Yeah it happens...   I mucked my first build up so bad I had to abandon it in the end..  I set the neck in at the wrong angle...  And ive done other silly stuff..  But theres not too much to muck up if you are putting a kit together...  My tip is that if you arnt sure of something test it on some scrap wood until you are confident...

The first job I ever did was to re-finish a Gibson LP 58 Special re-issue and add a pickup, take off the tailpiece and install a tune o matic... The first time I went to route on the body (for the extra pickup) my hands were actually shaking. Its one thing making my own bodies, but mofiying someone elses expensive Gibson was just nerve racking at first :)  When I went to install the tune o matic I must have tested it like 30 times on scrap to make sure I got the correct spacing for the holes.

I don't have time to waste using scrap bits of wood! ;)

It's my impatience thats my downfall... 

I'd be crapping myself trying to work on someone else's guitar, especially an expensive one!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16668
    It's looking good, it will only get better.

learning by doing works for me.  I slways say test on scrap etc, but that only happens when it's not my guitar :)
    WezV said:
    It's looking good, it will only get better.

learning by doing works for me.  I slways say test on scrap etc, but that only happens when it's not my guitar :)
    Cheers :)

I love doing projects like this, they're very addictive!!
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    You don't have to apply lots of coats if you dont want to, I have a couple of necks that only have 2 coats and its holding up well, of you get to a point where it looks good...stop......the joy with Tru Oil is, you can do more later if you wish...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Good point @paulnb57 ; It's definitely glossier than I expected with just one coat... so I might just stick with a couple.  I expect it's because the sanding sealer had a shine to it, the Tru Oil is acting like a lens.

Like I said in a previous post, I've usually royally screwed up by now, so I'm very pleased this is turning out so well!
    If its too shiny you could knock it back with 1000 grit wet n dry and a bit of the oil for lube, if its not right wipe another coat back on, in my experience, its quite difficult to cock up with Tru Oil as long as you dont put too much on at once...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

edited April 2017
    I love doing projects like this, they're very addictive!!
    Thats why I have so many in various stages of build, I'm Paul and I'm a Partscaster addict!....

Wait a minute... I'm a Paul too..!  Uhoh.  And if that's a collie in your avatar I could well be talking to myself... ;)

Quick wiring question... looking in my parts box I have two orange drop caps that say 223k on them... they suitable for a strat wiring scheme?  Otherwise a green cap with no values on it and another cap on some cheap P Bass wiring.

I'd rather use stuff I already have if possible.  I've got the CTS pots, but no nuts (everything in my parts box are the wrong size!) proper switch, cloth sleeved wires, a couple of spare jack plugs... so nearly have everything I need.
    And I just had to, didn't I?  Just so we can see where we're going...

http://inspireyourdog.com/misc/pp/WNeck04.jpg

http://inspireyourdog.com/misc/pp/WNeck05.jpg

The light washed out the pup covers, but never mind.  ;)

I'm planning on black plastics for the pup covers, and still looking at either black or gold knobs...

We're getting there...  :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Looking cool man!
    tFB Trader

Yeah man that looks cool.. I don't usually like gold either but it does suit that colour and hardware  :)

Cool stuff.

edited April 2017
    Bloody hell, that looks good!

• SargeSarge Frets: 2398
    I love the smell of Tru Oil in the morning! 
    Looking better n better every pic! 
    edited April 2017
    So at the moment, I'm down to trying to get hold of the bits and bobs to finish off.

List:

Black Pickup Covers:  The pups are Iron Gear Pig Irons and these are apparently the sizes according to their website:  50mm, 52mm, 52mm.

Wilkinson Bridge:  WVPC Gold one.

Strat Knobs:  Can't shake that I still want metal control knobs.  I found one of the metal ones I bought a few years ago.  It had been exposed to the elements and looked great when put next to the scratchplate, etc, so I'm set on this.

Here's a picture of the originals:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/OTAwWDE2MDA=/z/18IAAOSwQYZW0JL6/$_1.JPG

And they are incredibly expensive as you can probably imagine... and the far east knobs I've seen are... lacking.  But, look what I discovered:

http://www.wammiworld.com/images/K-pictures/Brass/8003 Bell Knob.jpg

These are the knobs manufactured for Fender in the 70s and 80s.  They're made by Kahler, and here's a whole page of the brass accessories they made for Fender and Gibson:

http://www.wammiworld.com/Brass.php

There's even the original unbranded trem listed there.

The knobs themselves are a very reasonable £6.50 each - at least it's reasonable for period knobs.  Could just about justify that.  And then postage means it'd be around £30 all in, so £10 each.  A bit steep, but doable I think....

Until the parcel hit our shores... when VAT would be added - £6, and then the Royal Mail's £8 'handling fee', bumping the total up to £44.    Then we're up to £14.60 each.

Buying them is £6.50 each, getting them posted more than doubles the price, dammit.  And I can't find any stockists in Europe.  Is it any wonder stuff costs so much in Blighty?

So I might have to just get some of the far east ones because I can get a set of those + postage under the Royal Mail and VAT limit (£15 including postage).  Ridiculous.

Strings:  Mustn't forget I don't have any spare strings... I always had loads...

• sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Axetec will no doubt have pickup covers to fit. They stock irongear and will be able to sort ya out I reckon.