Do Klones always boost bass?

What's Hot
xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
edited March 2017 in FX
I was going to post this as a PM to @juansolo but then I thought some others might be interested.

I have one of juansolo's final run of Klones. I've been reading on his site about how he tried a few different variations on the Klon circuit across his builds:

It is a bit more of a homage to the original pedal and people will also be able to argue about which ones are the best as we've changed the mix slightly for these just to keep things interesting. 

I'm curious how close to the original Klon these TuskFinals were.

I ask because with my rig, it sounds to my like the Klone boosts the bass. I've never used another Klon or Klone, but it's not something I've heard about from others apart from the Wampler Tumnus. Would I get different results from another Klone (I mean significantly different, not microscopic differences because of component tolerances)?
My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    It's my understanding that Klon and klones cut bass, like tubescreamers, whereas the Tumnus (I have one) keeps the bass at roughly unity level. I don't really like pedals that cut bass (I don't play with TOO much gain), hence why I've got the Tumnus.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    In my experience original Klons slightly cut base, but not as much as a tube screamer might do.
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited March 2017
    How close to which Klon? is the question you should be asking Differences have been found when they were traced. They're not big ones to be fair. They tend to be around how the tone control works based on the two resistors and cap that are connected to it.

All the klones I've made up to the final set of Tusk based ones (of which there was six IIRC) had the resistors as per the Chitum trace, but used an 8n2 tone cap as when we compared the Chitum (3n9) based pedal to a friend's Klon, it was noticeably different. We adjusted it until it was indistinguishable to that particular Klon and we built them all that way from that point forth.

Now there were more traces past that point. The BYOC trace has some really peculiar stuff going on in it, but one thing that stood out was that the resistors on the tone pot were swapped over. So we tried it (back with the 3n9 tone cap) and to us, we actually preferred how that made the tone pot work.

I even made a pedal with all three combinations on a rotary switch just to see how little real world difference it all made when the only thing you're changing are those tone parts (so essentially ruling out other tolerances around the build).

As I say, people will argue about which way is the 'right' way and which they prefer.

For the properly nerdy, it was analysed over on Madbean in the Klone Science thread, which is quite interesting if you are that way inclined.

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv299/pnordeen/Mods_zps1d87dd06.jpg

Stock is Chitum, Capacitor is 8n2, and resistor is 3n9 plus swapped resistors. FWIW the Chitum was down on mids compared to the Klon we compared to, and that matched it. The three traces are dial at 25%, 50% and 75%, gain fixed at 50%.
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention, they don't boost bass (as you can see above).
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2324
    I don't know about @juansolo 's ones, but on the soul food if you turn up the gain a little (assuming you were using it as a clean boost with the drive at zero) that should start to cut a bit more bass.
  • xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    Cheers juansolo. Don't know what I was hearing with my rig then. Good to know. I'll save my money from trying other Klones.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.