Has anyone tried a RYRA Klone ?

What's Hot
TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
I like the idea of a pedal which doesnt mess with your tone. I have a maxon od808 reissue which is great but there is always that mid hump. When i play cant stop by the chili peppers i get a lovely bell like not too clean tone and when i kick on the maxon for the solo the mid hump is obvious.i want to use a pedal where the tone remains intact but there is more sustain and punch.....cue the ryra klone. Anyone tried one and can comnent ?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    yep buy one would be my advice
  • BigRedOneBigRedOne Frets: 67
    I've got one as well that I use as a boost - great, great pedal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Well it's not going to get rid of the mid hump... ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1455
    The Ryra probably maintains the basic tone better than any other OD pedal I've tried. I'm always fascinated by reviews (and particularly YouTube clips!) where the reviewer goes on and on about how "transparent" a pedal is and how your basic tone is unchanged, only to then kick it in and there's a REALLY obvious change in tone and eq! The Ryra actually does this. It's a fabulous pedal.
  • Timmy. I've got a Timmy and a Rocket Archer (I know it's not a RYRA) and there is definitely much more tonal colouration with the Klone
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    Yeah, I'd say the Timmy as well for the transparent thing
  • BumFaceBumFace Frets: 114
    For £200, it does a pretty good impression of a Klon. Closest thing I've heard.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7161
    A friend got one a couple of days ago and is blown away by it. 
  • I'd been using the RYRA as a clean boost for a while but it just seemed a bit silly just for that purpose. It does sounds beautiful in that mode btw!

I've been experimenting with it quite a bit lately and I'm really impressed with it. The gain pushed past 12pm sounds glorious! My hotcake now acts as a clean boost,  the RYRA  together with a Hotcake and a CTC blackface stardust works really well I think?
  • BigRedOneBigRedOne Frets: 67
    edited March 2017
    After all the different boost pedals I've tried, using the RYRA for that feels like a blessing - but I'd also agree that it's gain/drive sound is great as well.  More reason to get one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolo said:
    Well it's not going to get rid of the mid hump... ;)

That was my thought. 

For playing can't stop, I used to use a driven amp and the guitar volume control. Worked okay, but didn't have the bite of the original during the riff. So I switched to using a super hard on style boost, which absolutely nailed it - just boosting the amp a wee bit more for drive and volume. 

Now, I do it the live way - a dirty amp and a ds-2 for mad mids and infinite sustain solo. Sadly didn't get to gig it, but I think that's how John frusciante did it live. 

I also tried using a boss df-2 for the dirty tone into a completely clean amp and was surprised at how good it sounded - not quite like the original, but a really decent touch sensitive, loose drive tone. Boosting for the solo, again, worked fine with an sho. 
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Yep, SHO is a boost, it's flat and it boosts everything. Amusingly these transparent overdrives usually have a degree of tone shaping, The Klon and TS for example are both mid humped.
  • How does it compare to the Tumnus?