Optical compressors

What's Hot
suspiciousmindssuspiciousminds Frets: 393
I've just built an optical compressor which has two controls - vol/sustain.
I've used a 1M ldr and a 5mm red led.
Now the circuit seems to work ok - sounds nice but could someone please explain whats the purpose of the ldr/led combination in these circuits?
The Led seems to be "pick responsive" and lights up bright when i play.
I've also housed the ldr/led facing each other  in a small tube but what does this actually do in the circuit?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12897
    Optical comps use the combination of a light source and an LDR to achieve the gain control - the light source changes brightness as you play louder or softer and then the LDR reacts to that brightness. The resistance of the LDR is then used to alter the level of the output signal.

The way (speed/knee/ramp/whatever) that the LDR reacts to changes in brightness is what gives optical compressors their sound, really. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ahh, thx
    so in theory if i play harder the signal/vol increases then?
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12897
    Ahh, thx
    so in theory if i play harder the signal/vol increases then?

Erm... its a compressor?  

As you play harder the input to the compressor will increase and the LED will glow brighter. 

What the output signal volume does is complicated: bear in mind that a compressor makes quiet sounds louder and loud sounds quieter.  

Ovnilabs has a really great overview of compressors (how the work, what they do, what the controls mean, what the difference is between optical and FET...)

http://www.ovnilab.com/faq.shtml