What Happens If You Put A 100 Watt Valve Amp Into A 30 Watt Cab?

What's Hot
MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
Serious question, and I know that the obvious answer will be that the speaker will blow.

I'm wondering if anything will happen at home volumes.  I've got an old 100 watt Orange, and a 5 watt valve practice amp - TBH, the 5 watter is insanely loud.  I'd never have either of them as loud as the 5 watter can go at home.  Does that mean that they're both safe into a 30 watt cab?
Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    tFB Trader
    The cab doesn't know how much power is available, only what it sees, so if you are confident you can keep the volume level below 30w then it should be fine, saying that 30w clean is not actually super loud, I routinely play at that level in the house so you may be better to put a power resistor in parallel with the speaker to make it a bit safer... or use an attenuator.
  • I doubt you'd turn your 100 watt amp anywhere near 30 watts for home use! You should be fine. If you blow the speaker you've gone too far ;)
    | davisamplification.com | furyofficial.com | My favourite guitar is my American Standard HH Telecaster in whitish |
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    It will only be a problem if you turn up the volume too much. As a rule of thumb if you keep the volume below the maximum that your 5W amp can produce then there should be no problems at all.
  • xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    What are the speakers? Celestions tend to be very conservatively rated anyway, which gives you a bit more leeway.

I've never tried a mismatch that bad, but I have run a 100 watt Marshall into a 1x12 Vintage 30 (rated at 70 watts) without incident. You'll hear the speaker flapping and distorting before it actually blows anyway, so just listen carefully and if the speaker starts to flub or fart out, back off.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    Thanks for the replies, guys - it's a Subzero cheap-as-chips 1x10 cab.  Celestion 10 inch driver, apparently - no idea how it sounds but for £60 I thought I'd take a punt, as I'm always swapping speaker cables over.  I'm not expecting miracles, but I'll let you know how it sounds.
    Mark de Manbey

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    I know this is only a suitable approach with certain amp designs, but I just wondered whether taking a couple of power valves out for home use might be an option with your amp?
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Voxman said:
    I know this is only a suitable approach with certain amp designs, but I just wondered whether taking a couple of power valves out for home use might be an option with your amp?

Hi - yeah, it's not so much reducing the power of the Orange - it's actually in the shop having a (fully reversible) power reduction circuit fitted.  This was more about understanding what the actual limits might be, whether there was something other than volume that might shorten the life of the speaker cab.

Incidentally, I've run the Orange before in 2xEL34 config before, it really wasn't the same...
    Mark de Manbey

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Pulling two valves is actually a bad idea because it will still leave the amp capable of producing at least 50-60W, and with the slightly thinner tone you're likely to be tempted to turn it up further, even if only a bit.

As already said, as long as you play at less then the maximum volume the 5W amp is capable of - about 10W fully distorted probably - then there's no problem with using either amp.

Sometimes excessive bass can damage a speaker even below its rated power, but you would need to be putting a bass or a full-range PA-type signal through it for that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• cosmiccarrotcosmiccarrot Frets: 91
    edited March 2017
    I use a marshall 100w SL into a single G12 20w speaker. With an attenuator and a controlled volume you get the right amount of movement on the cone and can actually find the sweet spot easier imo.
    The Subzero cab arrived a couple of hours ago.  It's actually really, really good - can't see any flaws in the finish, and it sounds incredible.  There's a definite thinner sound coming from it than my usual 2x12, but that's not a bad thing.  The clarity through a clean amp is really great.  Very impressive cab for not much money at all.

Impressed.
    Mark de Manbey