Any Tokai experts out there?

What's Hot
LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3806

Hi, I'm thinking about making an offer on a beautiful, used, natural ES 120 N and wondered whether anyone could give me any info on it? 

Serial number is 0510243 

I gather it was made in Japan in 2005, but what are the specs? Nitro? Bone nut? Gotoh hardware? Pickups? Centre block? Does this guitar have a modern equivalent in terms of spec? UES.....? And I guess the ultimate question, is it a good model to get?! I'm trying to get a grip of how much I should offer. 

Thanks in advance for your help
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skikdi53skikdi53 Frets: 198
    Good guitar, PU if original needs to be changed but they sound "correct". UES models are for UK market, the same just a little difference in the headstock( not exactly gibson). 
    Price, have sold mine since few months for 850 Euros, i think 650 pounds is a good price.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2346
    Check out the tokai registry forum, they know their stuff there and should be able to help you.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3806
    Thanks, both. Can anyone else help?
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14164
    tFB Trader
    most of the Jap built Tokais are a cut above your regular Epiphones etc so well worth persuing - I can't recall, without browsing the likes of google, if the ES120 is nitro or not and bone nut or not - It will be centre block but even Gibson have changed the finer detail of this many times over the years, so for its price i would not get to hung up about vintage DNA details - I agree @skikdi53 that the pick-ups are okay, but a better set can be installed as required

I've probably sold more used ES130's over the last 3-5 years but I guess any ES120 in good nick around £600/700 is good - I think (need to brush up on this) but later ES120's are not made in Japan - but 2005 should be - what is the asking price
    edited March 2017
    Thanks, @guitars4you. He's asking £1,100 which sounded a bit steep, hence my enquiries. Sounds like es120 is the cheapest Jap made Tokai then? What do Es130s have over it? Give me a shout if you get any more Tokai semis in, cheers! Or Heritage for that matter...
    All I know is, I played a new UES 158 recently and loved it. About £1200 new I think. So want to find something used of equal or better quality.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14164
    tFB Trader
    Lebarque said:
    Thanks, @guitars4you. He's asking £1,100 which sounded a bit steep, hence my enquiries. Sounds like es120 is the cheapest Jap made Tokai then? What do Es130s have over it? Give me a shout if you get any more Tokai semis in, cheers! Or Heritage for that matter...
    sounds far to much IMO - is this a UK seller - the ES120 is the cheapest Jap Tokai - think even these are now made elsewhere in the far east - Dealers like The Little Guitar Shop in Birmingham are selling various new Tokais not much above that with a higher spec - will update you if I get a nice used Tokai or Heritage - cheers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1202
    No expert but I used to own a Tokai ES120 in natural from, IIRC, 2003 or thereabouts.

It was a fine guitar. I had the pickups changed for Seth Lovers (just because I had some lying about) but the originals were pretty close - certainly close enough to make the change unnecessary - so that says a lot. 

One common misconception about these was that they had nitro lacquer. I read this several times in contemporary reviews but It didn't feel like one to me. I emailed the distributor who replied, confirming that it was a poly finish. 

I would not let that put you off. The whole "breathability" myth is particularly mad with semi-solids as you have the entire interior unfinished so it can, presumably, "breathe" all it wants that way!

I think the biggest thing that put people off at the time was a narrow-ish nut width but mine felt fine to me. Not too wide I'll admit but not as narrow as the late 60s Gibsons. The profile was the full-but-not-too-fat 50s spec that Tokai do so well. By comparison, Gibson seem to offer matchstick thin or telegraph pole thick with very little in-between.
    Thanks, @basher
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    The model numbers of these Tokai's and some other Japanese brands can be very confusing.  It is basically a couple of letters for the model followed by it's cost in thousand Yen at the time.  So an ES120 cost ¥120,000 in 2005 when this was made.  The Yen price will now be substantially higher for a new model, so the model number will have also changed, for exactly the same guitar !

I have a stunning Tokai LP quilt top from 2003 which I believe was ¥85,000 at the time, the same model about four years ago had risen to ¥105,000 with a subsequent and confusing change in it's model designation.  So you really need to read model numbers in conjunction with year of manufacture to gain a proper perspective    @-)