Wireless

What's Hot
TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
I'm back to thinking about a wireless..

Line 6 G10 seems good value for money, Does it actually do what's required?

Line 6 G70 and Shure appeal as they could replace my tuner, I can get the G70 quite a bit cheaper here, but it seems to have had some issues. Anyone got one?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Don't fancy the Smooth Hound?
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    @simonk a what?
    edited March 2017
    @simonk a what?
    http://www.smoothhound-innovations.com/

Have a look in the 'Made in the UK' section, there's a long relevant thread in there:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/44911/smooth-hound-innovations-classic-wireless-guitar-system#latest

I have one, in fact we all do in my band, and they're brilliant.
  • xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    I also really like my StageClix. 

http://www.stageclix.com/products/stageclix-jack
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Love the G10 - not a massive range but I use it at home, rehearsal every week and gigs almost every weekend - so simple, easy to keep charged (plug in when setting up) a charge lasts a gig and rehearsal easy.
    Easy to swap guitars (no battery pack).
    Not a pro unit and has no channel switching capabilities (I think it auto determines channel?) but a bargain nonetheless - and a big saving on batteries - even if you get rechargeables!
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Another Smooth hound user here. I use it on my belt with a short lead as opposed to plugging it directly into the jack.
    Another Smooth hound user here. I use it on my belt with a short lead as opposed to plugging it directly into the jack.
    Same here - it fits nicely in the small of your back.

The cost of batteries really isn't that high. A pair will easily last 3 gigs. If you used Amazon cheapies that can't work out much more than 20p a gig...
    Plus I'd much rather be able to slot a new pair of batteries in during a gig than fanny around with USB charging.
    FWIW I use rechargeables.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3665
    The @SmoothHoundUK is excellent. I was playing outside the boozer at our last gig! The sticky pad is hit and miss depending on what finish you have on your guitar but it's a great little unit and the battery life is amazing.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993

I've just moved from L6 G50 to smoothound I picked up at the guitar show. Instantly better tone, and worked well at rehearsals . next test is how well it holds up gigging.

ok, well Smooth Hound looks good, part after import fees, tax and postage it's become quite a lot more pricey than the G10

G10 - not keen on any device with a built in battery, would much rather AA/AAA etc, but it's cheap.. Not keen on the receiver though, looks huge?  @Vaiai ;Is it really that big?
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    I'm on the verge of selling my Shure GLXD16 guitar/tuner wireless set if that is of interest @Teetonetal ;? PM me :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 597
    Do Line6 still do the G30? I've used one for years with no issues.  The wireless bit that clips to your belt runs for ages on a couple of AA batteries, so easy to chuck in a fresh set when needed. I use rechargeables. 
    Love it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Just reminded of this by the Xvive Discussion that they do a wireless system - the U2 rechargeable bug type transmitter and receiver (comes with a charger that does both at the same time)and relatively cheap (£116 on amazon). I guess it can't really live on your pedalboard, would be a handy system if you wanted wireless for different set ups ( jam nights, rehearsal,etc) as once it's charged up you could keep it in your pocket. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    @EricTheWeary good shout. 
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    What's wrong with a good old line 6 G30?
    been running them for 7 years now and they are all still going strong 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Yep. I'm also a fan of the Line 6 G30. I've had 2 pf them for about 5 years now and they've never let me down. Reliability & tone is great. I particularly like the cable emulation function as most other wireless systems are a bit too clinical and clean to my ear.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4028
    Line 6 G30 fan here.
    Nothing not to love about it.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Smooth Hound here too.

Great size, good battery life, good range, like that it's not rechargeable but standard batts, sounds great..

..but this is all trumped by the fact that I love the flashing light. Mmmmm shiny
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited March 2017
    G10 is brilliant ...I picked up mine for £90 brand new.  Plug in is actually very compact, with silent 'no pop' jack. Up to 8 hrs playing time and 200 hrs standby time per charge, and auto sleep mode after 4 mins. Range is more than adequate for most players/bands. Operates at same frequency quality of other Line 6 wireless units and it automatically selects one of 4 built in channel frequencies.  

I love mine, its so simple to use and you get superb clarity with a  little more top end because you dont get the tone suck from cables. Also, it acts as a front end buffer for your pedal board.  However, if you use older vintage style pedals like fuzz, you may not want a buffer at the front end of your signal chain.  

Our drummer has the Line 6 G70 which is an excellent wireless system costing around £450.  We tried them both side by side and aside from the G70's ability to simulate different cable length, 12 ( l think) channels and a longer range which we dont really need, there was no difference in sound quality, and the G10 was so much quicker and simpler to use.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1808
    Smoothhound user here, great little unit, picked another up here 2nd hand a few weeks ago so I now have 2 transmitter paired to the 1 receiver (can only use 1 at a time though)

I actually use a very small spot of velcro both on the guitar and on the back of the transmitter to hold it in place - tried the belt thing but with my IEM pack as well I was getting into a right tangle and thats before looking like something out of the Wild West with dual belt packs...