Anyone gigging a Carr impala?

What's Hot
Seriously looking a one of these as a pedal platform with enough headroom to put a boost at the end of the chain and get a volume lift. Playing in a pub band with a reasonably aggressive drummer.  Anyone got experience? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4978
    Calling @Lebarque ;
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • Calling @Lebarque ;
    Ta
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    Yep, it's plenty loud enough. 40 watts into a 12 inch speaker and starts breaking up later on the dial than Fenders do. Works nicely in a mix due to the extra mids on tap and is a nice fat, warm, round take on the blackface tone. With my strat, I set the volume at 2 o'clock to get a fat clean sound with little bit of headroom to spare, then tip it over the edge with pedals. Then set the excellent master volume to taste. I don't think I've got it above 12 o'clock using it like this with the band. Great amp. Currently my favourite Carr. Controversial, but I prefer it to the Rambler, having a/b'd the two. Has that big amp sound, but in 1x12 format. Took me a while to get used to the warmth and bass (it's Blackface Bassman inspired), but have loved it since. It saw off my Skylark easily. As you can tell, I like it! Never tried it with humbuggies though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @CloudNine might chime in too. I bought mine from him.
  • Lebarque said:
    Yep, it's plenty loud enough. 40 watts into a 12 inch speaker and starts breaking up later on the dial than Fenders do. Works nicely in a mix due to the extra mids on tap and is a nice fat, warm, round take on the blackface tone. With my strat, I set the volume at 2 o'clock to get a fat clean sound with little bit of headroom to spare, then tip it over the edge with pedals. Then set the excellent master volume to taste. I don't think I've got it above 12 o'clock using it like this with the band. Great amp. Currently my favourite Carr. Controversial, but I prefer it to the Rambler, having a/b'd the two. Has that big amp sound, but in 1x12 format. Took me a while to get used to the warmth and bass (it's Blackface Bassman inspired), but have loved it since. It saw off my Skylark easily. As you can tell, I like it! Never tried it with humbuggies though.
    Excellent thanks.  I'd beng using it with humbckers but of the low powered variety.  I'd had a quick go through one at Coda but need to go back and give it a. Longer trial.  
    edited March 2017
    From how you describe you want to use it, I'd say it's perfect. As long as you like fat, round cleans compared to the crystal cut of a twin reverb, for example. World class spring reverb in the Impala too (Carr standard). Only thing that could make it better for me would be on-board trem.
    If you go to Coda again, be sure to check out a 6L6 Louis Electric Columbia too. Seems to get rave reviews.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4254
    Lebarque has nailed it basically above. It's a phenomenal amp. I never gigged it, but used it with SC, HB and P90's and worked great with everything. It definitely has a baseman type tone to me, very warm and quite 3D sounding. Completely silent in operation. Eats pedals, they all feel like they are part of the amp. It doesn't have the greatest drive tone I have ever heard when cranked but is so good with pedals it doesn't matter.

@Lebarque. I did try to tell you that there would be no need for that Skylark you were mad keen to get!   ;)  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @CloudNine  But if I had listened to you, I wouldn't have wasted a load of money on GAS though. That's kind of like a membership fee round here, no?! :0)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom