Dr Z EZG 50 - Does it really stays clean at high volumes?

2»

Comments

• Have you considered a Fender Twin?  They are, for me at least, *the* super clean amp, tons of headroom, sound great at home practice volumes too.  

The only thing is, the originals really need a service on purchasing - they are getting on a wee bit now.  But they are great sounding and, let's face it, they look the part, too.  

Weigh as much as a small star, though... And that is a genuine consideration.  Some have casters fitted, but they're massive amps.  I'm sure that's part of the reason they're available for relatively little dollar.  

Otherwise, MJW of this parish has a model called the Orion which sounds like you can choose what you want - so you'd want a low gain, sparkly clean preamp into a high headroom poweramp.  He might have a bit of a waiting list, though...
    I sure LOVE the Twin! That's why my search for a twin type of amp with similar power but not weighing a  ton. For instance I love the new Deluxe Reverb head but again , it is only 22W...Fender should do come up with a serious 50W, 100W head series for the working musician...but not the "supersonic"...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ...in fact I think if Fender would come up on the market with a Twin Reverb  HEAD version, that  would be probably the best amp ever!
    Or may be there is such model out there  and I am not aware of...?

• ...in fact I think if Fender would come up on the market with a Twin Reverb  HEAD version, that  would be probably the best amp ever!
    Or may be there is such model out there  and I am not aware of...?

Not sure, but there are plenty of folks who'll do super clean Fender circuits in a head for you.  There are quite a lot of UK boutique folks who may be able to help, possibly even do a Twin circuit for you :)
  • I again ask, are you a working musician playing venues that would allow you to crank up a 100watt amp ?
  • @darcym ; well I kind of agree with you ....however it is all about the clean headroom. The higher output, the higher clean headroom you can get...also they say there is not huge difference in vol between 50w and 100w.. it is not double loud..if I am not mistaken is just 3 db , but may be I am wrong

• I understand it's not all volume...but it is REALLY loud., as I said I with the fuchs I had to go down to the 75watt and even that was too loud as you still needed it at over %50 to get it sounding right, bellow that it was a bit dead.

while there is head room - there is having to drive it hard enough to get it sounding at it's best, I don't know the numbers, but 100w was way too loud.

The interesting thing is the power scaling on the twin I've got works the opposite way, it seems to change the volume more than it changes the head room.

I guess it's amp by amp how it works and what it effects.

• Head room.

My stiletto is switchable 50-100w.

I never really understood headroom until I switched it on the fly.  It opens up the sound, gives it more clarity and the upper harmonics come through more clearly.  Switching to the 50w setting, it becomes more compressed sounding, easier to drive, but not as clear.

Not touting the amp, but doing my best to describe the idea of headroom.  It isn't about volume, it's about clarity.  Never had the chance to crank it, though.  You'd need a stadium gig for that.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9513
    Bumping this thread - any body with EZG experiences out there ?
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Bumping this thread - any body with EZG experiences out there ?
    Yep, what d'ya want to know? If youve ever played a Super Reverb you'll know it pretty well. The Z is a a little more refined, though I'm only going on what I've been told I have never A/B'd them. The Z is also probably a lot better made and over engineered, I do know the transformers are over specced.
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    how about a lazy J J80?
    isnt that essentially a high powered twin?
  • liftmanliftman Frets: 61
    I'm selling a Bandmaster Reverb head that has a Super Reverb output transformer and 2 Philips 7581's in it. It's very loud and clean. I'd agree with Hywelg when he says the Z is a little more refined, I found the Z a bit too hi-fi for my taste. Also comparing the two I would say the Z has a stronger mid emphasis and lacks the sparkle of the Fender.