Can I get a decent clean tone from a JCM 2000 TSL or DSL?

What's Hot
robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3039
I'm depping in a Lynyrd Skynyrd tribute band on Sunday, at a festival in Great Yarmouth.

I'm taking a pedal board but backbone is provided:

"4 x Marshall JCM 2000 Guitar Heads (2x TSL + 2 x DSL)
4 x Marshall 4x12 Cabs"

There will also be:

"2x Marshall JCM 800/900 Heads
1 x Marshall 4x12 Cab"

I normally use a blackfaced Fender Bandmaster (1 x 15), or a Traynor YRM-1SC (4 x 10).

Am I going to be able to get a decent clean sound from any of the Marshalls?

R.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    My advice would be to take a decent clean boost pedal and go through the FX loops and have the fx boost control the overall vol
    when in doing that kind of thing I run the Helix in stereo but I have done the same using a Kingsley Jester at the end of the chain and using the boost section to control it
    if it's lunar skynard though the crunch channel on the dsl s is decent and cleans up with volume
    forget trying to use them as two channel amps
    if you Eq the clean to sound nice the drive is awful and vice versa
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3039
    I'm planning to try and get a clean sound reasonably similar to my usual sound and use my normal drive pedals. 
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    I'd suggest that your not going to struggle getting a 'usable' clean out of the 800 or DSL, steer clear of the TSL. 

Its not going to be be as spanky or Fender like as you are used too, but as long as you don't hammer the front end too much with input volume and scoop the mids slightly I reckon it will do. 

Marshall cleans are pretty underrated. 

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    The speaker choices are going to be a change for you regardless of the amps themselves. 
    Cabicular said:
    My advice would be to take a decent clean boost pedal and go through the FX loops and have the fx boost control the overall vol
    when in doing that kind of thing I run the Helix in stereo but I have done the same using a Kingsley Jester at the end of the chain and using the boost section to control it
    if it's lunar skynard though the crunch channel on the dsl s is decent and cleans up with volume
    forget trying to use them as two channel amps
    if you Eq the clean to sound nice the drive is awful and vice versa
    Yes the crunch on the dsl is FAR better than the TSL. 

but get there early and nab the 800!!!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72262
    Yes. At least until it breaks down.

(Speaking as a TSL owner :).)

You'll get a "better" - ie more Fender-like - clean from the TSL than any of the others.

If there are two TSLs, set the second one up exactly the same as the first before you start, it will save time if you need to swap mid-set ;).

If you're a Skynyrd tribute band I assume you have three guitarists, so each of you can do the same, with one of the others using the DSLs and the third with the 800s.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    I've owned a few DSL Marshalls over the years. Happy to say that it's a fantastic crunchy amp imo. It'll do good enough cleans, the TSL doesn't come close in any respect again... that's my opinion. 
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    the TSL has the worst, stiffest, most lifeless clean of any valve amp i've ever played.

I would go for the 800, use the low input and push the gain up high, on 10 if you have single coils. It will be nice and warm and punchy and will take drive pedals like a champ

the TSL has the worst, stiffest, most lifeless clean of any valve amp i've ever played.

I would go for the 800, use the low input and push the gain up high, on 10 if you have single coils. It will be nice and warm and punchy and will take drive pedals like a champ
    This. 
    Thanks for all advice.

On re-reading the spec sheet, I noticed this:

"Guitarists may also use their own amp heads but please be aware of the short changeover time available to you."

So, I have a Traynor YRM-1 (head version of the YRM-1SC 4x10 combo) which I think I'll take down and play through a 4x12 cab.

Regardless of which amp I use, I built a board which should get me a reasonable sound into any half-decent amp:

Signal path: G70 -> wah -> Cali76 -> Tumnus -> Tonebone -> Simble -> Juansolo Tubescreamer -> 30ms -> ABY

The ABY is for when I use either two amps (clean/dirty) or my Bandmaster head which has a tweed channel and a Blackface channel.

Looking forward to the gig!

R.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72262
    Mine isn't too bad. I can think of at least two Marshalls which are worse - the Split-Channel JCM800s and the JCM900s - let alone other many amps.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's brilliant - I didn't exactly choose to own mine on purpose, and I have modded it a bit - but it isn't *that* bad. (When it's working… ;) ) It's slightly more Fendery than the DSL clean too, which is why I would recommend it as the first choice if you only have those three options.

If the 800 is a 2203/4 that would be much better though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thanks for all advice.

On re-reading the spec sheet, I noticed this:

"Guitarists may also use their own amp heads but please be aware of the short changeover time available to you."

So, I have a Traynor YRM-1 (head version of the YRM-1SC 4x10 combo) which I think I'll take down and play through a 4x12 cab.

Regardless of which amp I use, I built a board which should get me a reasonable sound into any half-decent amp:

Signal path: G70 -> wah -> Cali76 -> Tumnus -> Tonebone -> Simble -> Juansolo Tubescreamer -> 30ms -> ABY

The ABY is for when I use either two amps (clean/dirty) or my Bandmaster head which has a tweed channel and a Blackface channel.

Looking forward to the gig!

R.
    Wot no MT-2????
  • carl999popcarl999pop Frets: 47
    edited March 2017
    Hi I've used a TSL for years and it has worked like clockwork for me. Channel 1 has got a decent clean sound,  not particular sterile imho but not a fender pristine clean either. Keep the gain low, max the master volume and work the mid and treble controls and you should get a good sound from it. Tubesceeamers got a lot of midrange so I'd dial back mids on the amp a tad otherwise you'll get a lot of mid. What guitar are you using? Have a great gig!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30882
    Your best hope is that the sound engineers mic you up with an iPhone....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well, that went well.

I took my YRM-1 head and plugged into a 4x12.

Got a great sound, probably due to lack of iPhone.

R.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well, that went well.

R.
    Android?
    Well, that went well.

R.
    Android?
    In-joke. ;)
    Well, that went well.

R.
    Android?
    In-joke. ;)
    Do tell. 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I had to have a compressor on at all times to try and get some warmth into the clean channel. Good luck.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.