Whats best for producing a flat finish on poly

What's Hot
I've just got a Epi LP and some of the finish has been flattened,don't know how or why but I quite fancy finishing it all
the same way,so whats best,0000 wool or solvol autosol?.
Can you suggest some techniques please.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Kitchen pot scrubber pad (the normal green ones) work really well - that's what I was advised to use when I wanted to "satinise" the neck on one of my guitars and it worked nicely.  Needs doing again every now and then because it eventually polishes back to gloss with use, but lasts for ages.
  • NeckwringerNeckwringer Frets: 357
    Did you use it dry?
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Wet stops it from clogging as easily - same as wet and dry paper, but I would be careful with how much wet if you do...
    Got ya.........
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9578
    There's a definitive thread for this, if you have a couple of hours spare.
    Excellent.........cheers
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    tFB Trader

If want satin, 2000 or 2500 grit wet & dry sandpaper. Or a 3k Trizact pad like this - http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/3m-trizact-3000-fine-foam-finishing-disc-75mm-single.php

These leave a very nice even finish, more of a sheen than the sandpaper. Use by hand, they're used dry in bodyshops but work great by hand with a little water. I use them as final stage of sanding before polishing paint.

Let sandpaper soak for 5 mins in water. Drop of Fairy or similar helps it glide & stop clogging.
    To avoid directional scratches doing small circles is good, or sand in a union jack pattern. All over one way, then right angles to that, etc. Each run doesn't have to be super perfect sanding, the others make it all come good.

If you want fully matt a grey Scotchbrite pad is plenty coarse and still a good lot less coarse than the green household pads. They're used dry. The pattern thing helps not to have directional scratches again. Used in bodyshops to scuff up paint before new coats go on, I wouldn't go any coarser than these.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Aww man...superb.......