Great guitar writing and/or great guitarists.

What's Hot
I consider Tony Iommi, Nile Rodgers and Noel Gallagher to be great writers when it comes to guitar land, and yes I know Nile reaches beyond that.  I know the guitar stuff that they play may technically be relatively basic; however, it all sounds good in the context of the songs, and the songs they write are generally not bad.

Am I a luddite who lives in the past, am I easily pleased, or shoudl I learn to appreciate proper guitar playing in the style of the guitar virtuosi who I do not fully understand?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• If it sounds good, it is good.  I'm all over the map, I like music by all of the players you mention.  I don't judge whether I'm going to like something by the musicianship, some of my favorites are brilliant players and some aren't, if I like the music, that's all that matters to me.  There was some discussion about Marc Bolans abilities in another post here, he's a good example of a great songwriter/questionable musician but I own almost everything he released.  I also worship Frank Zappa who was widely considered to be a virtuoso, albeit in a weird way.  

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850
    You listen to what you like, end of. I like Guitarists of many types and most of them are ones that have been on the go for years. I like Vai and at the same time I like Paul Jackson Jr just to mention 2. 

You'd think cos I likeVai that I would be all over Guthrie's stuff, but I'm not, although I have heard him and think he is Uber talented, I just don't get moved enough to buy his stuff or listen to it at length. I might get really into it, but I'm a bit like you. I revert to the older stuff.

Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Noel Gallagher is a better guitarist than Guthrie.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    Lixarto said:
    Noel Gallagher is a better guitarist than Guthrie.
     And that is hugely subjective statement ;) Guthrie is on another planet when to comes to technical ability and musical knowledge, however Gallagher has written songs that has inspired millions..
    My own personal virtuosos are players who understand how to use just the right notes, tone and space in their music. i,e give me Dexter Gordon over Bird any day of the week. 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    Mark Knopfler excellent imo. All the stuff he done for Dylan as well as Dire Straits and his solo stuff.
    some stuff im not too keen on but mostly hes brilliant.
  • wordywordy Frets: 67

when you love music like we do on here, its easy to start thinking that your music is the best music.... I've done it myself, but of course thats a stupid bollocks attitude.

That said, I was watching some old footage of Freddie King the other night... and I thought fuck me, thats good.

• TunezTunez Frets: 15
    Yes.