Hot-rodding a PRS SE One

What's Hot
ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
So tonight I dug deep into the spare bedroom to unearth a much neglected SE One that I bought a couple of years ago for about eighty quid. To be honest I was digging it out to get rid. I honestly think it is a year since I have touched it.

Before setting it down on the sofa to take pics I did what you do. I had a little play.

and remembered why I jumped at the chance to buy it!

So time for a bit of tlc . I'm thinking new pickup, pot, tuners and nut. Any one played around with one of these?

i'm toying with having it pinstriped, but I do like the current colourscheme of none more black. And that matches my incoming mij tele...

So, would be interested to hear experience/ideas/recommendations 

cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MossMoss Frets: 2409
    I'd whack one of these in there, probably with a matching Mojo wiring setup
    Stop crying, start buying
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14213
    tFB Trader
    Bare Knuckle Nantucket - https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=p90s&sub=p90s&pickup=nantucket_90 - have one on my Feline DC LP style and on an SE Soapbar similar to yours as a 'kick around ' lots of character - grunt and a hint of attitude, but roll back the volume pot for a softer voice
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AuldReekieAuldReekie Frets: 196
    I put a TV jones T90 in my SE One and delighted with it.  P/up is a cross between a filtertron and a P90 in P90 casing
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    I wish I had guitars laying about that I'd forgotten about.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    +1 for the Bare Knuckle Nantucket...awesome pickup!....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Put a stacked volume & tone control in it. 
    I learned to use the pots properly by playing a Jr & can't imagine why you'd have a single P90 & no tone control. 
    On the pickup front- OilCity Jin-go is the best sounding P90 I've ever heard 
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    I like them just as they are. Get the nut dressed and that's about it. Boring I know on a guitar forum but there you go. 
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    I have a pair of Iron Gear Hot Slag pickups in my PRS SE.

Also changed the tone pot to a push-push to split the pickups.

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1258
    I recently sorted out a wiring issue on my SE Single Cut soapbar and have subsequently remembered why it used to come out more often than some much more expensive guitars I own - it would certainly benefit from a new nut[1] and could probably be improved a little by nicer pickups, a better wiring harness, pots, and switches etc. but it's a bloody good little guitar as it stands and doesn't really need anything doing to it to punch way, way, way above its price tag...

[1] The current one requires an occasional tiny sprinkle of graphite powder to stop the G string sticking and feels slightly soft to the point where I wonder if something better might make open strings ring out a little more and sustain a little better.
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    I have a pair of Iron Gear Hot Slag pickups in my PRS SE.

Also changed the tone pot to a push-push to split the pickups.
    The other guitarist in the band has just put a hot slag in his Jackson, brilliant pickup.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Oil City P90 that is tapped so you get full on grunt and vintage vibe in one pickup. 
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    I was looking at the oil city, so might try that first :)
  • 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427
    edited March 2017

Another +1 for the Nantucket , I have one currently residing in my Raygun "junior".   http://i63.tinypic.com/i52ir7.jpg