Oil City Nightfighters - any opinions?

What's Hot
Evening all,

I've decided to try new pickups in my 2007 Les Paul Standard.  It's a chambered guitar fitted with Burstbucker Pro pickups.  I liked them in a Studio I had once but haven't really fallen in love with them in this guitar.  @TheGuitarWeasel has recommended the Oil City Nightfighters and, not that I doubt his sage opinion, I just wondered if there were any opinions on here before I click to buy.

I'm using the guitar with a Mesa Boogie Mark V: 25 and want to go for between a lightly broken-up overdrive for single note complementary parts or a more Santana-like singing lead sound.

Thanks in advance.
Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    Not quite what you asked but I'm really pleased with the the Oil City P90s in my McCarty.  
  • uncledick said:
    Not quite what you asked but I'm really pleased with the the Oil City P90s in my McCarty.  
    I've already got some Blackbirds, which are very good.  Can't complain at the craftsmanship.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • Ive got a set... they are excellent.  Clear but beefy! 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7321
    Just bought a set for my lp custom but it's having a new nut fitted at the minute so not tried them yet.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 912
    I have one in the bridge position in my Berlin DLX (paired with a Scrapyard Dog +) and it sounds fab. As a previous poster said, good combination of power and clarity.
  • I have one in the bridge position of one of my guitars and it is fantastic, extremely smooth in the attack and well balanced across all frequencies without sounding in any way dull. Excellent all rounder
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    I've fitted a few Oil City pickups, all with excellent results, I highly recommend them 
  • I should deliver a verdict in around a fortnight...

My band, Red For Dissent
  • I've just ordered a set from Ash for a Korina explorer I've had built by GSP, will report back in a few weeks when it's back from final set up
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7321
    Only played for an hour but they're excellent. Possibly the smoothest attack I've had from a pickup.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultM said:
    Only played for an hour but they're excellent. Possibly the smoothest attack I've had from a pickup.
    Excellent.  Looking forward to getting mine :)

My band, Red For Dissent
  • Put these in today.  First time I've fitted pickups, so that was an experience.  @TheGuitarWeasel was endlessly patient over the three or four calls I made to him - and they're sounding terrific so far.  I need to set the balance and the correct height, work out their sweet spot, but they seem to have taken away the fizziness that I disliked previously.

My band, Red For Dissent