John Surtees RIP

HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9661
Only man to have won Grand Prix championships on four wheels and two, and in an era where deaths at races were unfortunately all too common.

I was fortunate enough to see him driving a demonstration lap in a Mercedes W165 (IIRC) at Silverstone some years back.

RIP.

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    RIP.

Was actually reading up on him only the other day - quite a life he led. When considering his line of work, 83 is a good innings.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    It's pretty amazing being the best in the world at bikes and cars. 
    I can't see that happening again.
    RIP.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    Schumacher tried to do it ........he got half way there but didn't do so well with bikes but he had a good go 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    The irony is that for all that motorsport it was the holiday pastime of skiing that got him
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1301
    Schumacher was never looking to take on Rossi and Stoner and co though!

I think the sports are different now but he was a great man, deserved a knighthood in my opinion, for what he achieved.

• MtBMtB Frets: 922
    RIP

It won't ever happen again due to sponsorship - with drivers / riders expected to bring (large amounts of) sponsorship money with them, that won't be possible in the modern era.

Mike Hailwood was of the same mould, though not as successful on 4 wheels.