Suhr Riot

What's Hot
GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
in FX tFB Trader
I wasn't actually looking for any pedals (not a massive pedal user tbh) but I was looking for something with a more raw edge to it. 

Im running a Lonestar with a TS9 and wampler faux delay. I was using my JHS @ for a while but I'm going to take it off the board just now. It was sent to me by Andy Timmons and is signed... I'd like to preserve it just now if I can.

Will the Riot give me that more Marshall-esque crunch? I don't have a guitar just now but I'll be using a mixture of humbuckekrs, single coils and p90s. I also don't have a band mix to worry about as I play for personal satisfaction at home.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I loved my Riot, it was on my board for ages until the Thorpy Gunshot replaced it.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    I loved my Riot, it was on my board for ages until the Thorpy Gunshot replaced it.
    I'm guessing through a Lonestar it's gonna sound pretty hot too? Seems to be quite a thick and crunchy pedal?
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I think there are better MIAB pedals than the Riot. I had a Riot for a while but it didn't sound any better than my old BBE AM64 or Marshall GV2, I'd probably hold out for the new Suhr Eclipse to become more readily available, looks like a far more comprehensive pedal.
  • There's a cheap Mooer clone of the Riot that you could try first. 

I loved the Riot, personally. But wanted something more classic Marshall sounding, the Riot is in that ball park but has its own flavour.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • I haven't tried the Riot, but AFAIK it's more of a high-gain distortion than a MIAB.

On my board, I have a Marvel Drive and an MXR SBAD.  I use them for different things: the Ramble for a bright-ish mid-gain crunch and the MXR for fatter, more saturated distortion.

You might find a pedal which does both, but it might be worth thinking about which of the two you are looking for.
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

I have the small Donner copy of the Mooer copy. A mini Riot -maybe a 'Bus Queue'? an 'Angry Gathering'?

I got it as a cheap way of trying the Riot idea. I'd say it's not a MIAB, but is good in it's own way. It's more kind of tight & modern sounding. It's very different to my La Grange - for me that's the ultimate MIAB, so far anyways.

tFB Trader
    Sorry guys I should may clarify... as a vintage Marshall fan and ex Marshall amp owner I accepted a long time ago that the MIAB thing usually disappoints (if that's what you're going for). I think I'd be okay with the Suhr if it had its own flavour. It's like the JHS @... it's definitely got a Marshall based tone but it's nowhere near Marshall at the same time. I've found a Riot for around £50, would that be a fairly good purchase? 
  • Yeah jump on it mate, its high gain, if that's what you're after.

The Bogner La Grange is my favourite MIAB, but agaim, if you're a seasoned Marshall owner, it may not get close enough. For me, it's fantastic.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    tFB Trader
    Yeah jump on it mate, its high gain, if that's what you're after.

The Bogner La Grange is my favourite MIAB, but agaim, if you're a seasoned Marshall owner, it may not get close enough. For me, it's fantastic.
    Yea I'm after something I can dial from crunch to higher gain for sure. The Lonestar lead channel is beautifully deep and warm but I need a gainier tone to satisfy the inner rocker!
  • £50 sounds like a good deal - I very much doubt you'd lose money if you decided to move it on.
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    £50 sounds like a good deal - I very much doubt you'd lose money if you decided to move it on.
    That's what I'm thinking mate. Safe enough purchase. Hopefully I'll like it. I was debating a Wanpler plexi drive too but budget restrictions and all that...
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    £50 for a Riot is a great deal. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Yeah! Almost too good... weren't there some fakes circulating?
    tFB Trader
    I'm attempting to acquire it now! 
    tFB Trader
    simonk said:
    Same could be said about anything in the guitar world I guess.

But this genuinely seems like someone who can't shift a legitimate item. The market is really tough isn't it?
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    lonestar said:
    simonk said:

But this genuinely seems like someone who can't shift a legitimate item. The market is really tough isn't it?
    Well I hope you're right. Just seems odd that someone would 'genuinely' struggle to shift something that, with even the most cursory research, appears to readily sell for more than double that...
    tFB Trader
    simonk said:
    lonestar said:
    simonk said:

Well I hope you're right. Just seems odd that someone would 'genuinely' struggle to shift something that, with even the most cursory research, appears to readily sell for more than double that...
    Tbf mate it looks like it has been sitting for a while too and it also appears to off the beaten track and collection only. I've asked to have it posted.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    I saw that advertised but and it looked genuine but he also has it on FB group and it's marked  as sold - hopefully he means to you - good luck, that's a very good price.
    edited March 2017 tFB Trader
    Nope. It was sold yesterday. 

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Personally I didn't like the Riot, and don't find it much of a MIAB.

However a lot do like said unit, so it'll end up being down to personal like/dislike.

Any of the Marshall Guvnor/GV2/Jackhammer/Shredmaster/Drivemaster will be a better MIAB pedal.(IMO)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)