How much would you pay for a 4 year old Matamp GT1?

What's Hot
Ogami-ZOgami-Z Frets: 6
Hi All, long time lurker here & now finally a fully fledged member :)

I've been wanting a Matamp for a while now especially since my musical tastes have drifted somewhat from Prog Metal to Doom/ Post Metal/Sludge.

There's a GT1 currently available for £1195, they sell new for £1499. I'd love to get one direct from Matamp but unfortunately I get most of my gear through finance usually with a sizeable deposit to get the monthly repayments down. If Matamp did the finance think I wouldn't hesitate in getting one direct from them.

I currently have an EVH 5150 III 50watt which I still love & wouldn't part with but I've been using pedals a lot more lately for my rhythm sound (BAT Quantum Mystic, DAM Meathead, KMA Dead stag Muff)

So what do you think, is £1195 to much to ask for a 4 year old Matamp? All input would be very much appreciated.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    That would have been £1349 new, possibly £1249 if bought pre 2012 price rise. So it's top end, but if it has new valves and mint condition perhaps. 

Unfortunately we can't put finance in place, we don't have the staff or the margin to deal with it!

regards
    Hayden 
  • Ogami-ZOgami-Z Frets: 6

Unfortunately we can't put finance in place, we don't have the staff or the margin to deal with it!

regards
    Hayden 
    Hi Hayden, Thanks for the reply, I wasn't expecting input from the Matamp Guru himself.  I fully understand why you can't offer finance but would it be possible to maybe pay for a build with 3 or 4 lump sum payments before shipping?

By the way I follow Matamp on Facebook & loved the interview you did with Guitar Nerds
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I think £1200 is a bit high, you only pay the VAT once and I'd expect to see another 20% depreciation just because it's used.
    timmysoft said:
    I think £1200 is a bit high, you only pay the VAT once and I'd expect to see another 20% depreciation just because it's used.

Yeah I thought the price was a wee bit steep for a 4 year old GT1, not saying that Matamps are pricey but I was thinking £950 to £1000 would've been a bit more of a fair asking price for a 4 year old used one. I've also got my eye on an Orange OR50 which is going for £899 new but TBH I'd much prefer to go for a Matamp.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    I know nothing about Matamp but just on the numbers it seems high.

if you mainly purchase through finance I assume your credit must be pretty good, why not put it on a credit card? Get a 18month 0% deal and put out the balance on the card???
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

if you mainly purchase through finance I assume your credit must be pretty good, why not put it on a credit card? Get a 18month 0% deal and put out the balance on the card???
    Yeah that's another option. I usually go finance when the options there because I usually pay a hefty deposit anywhere between £200 - £400ish (depending on the price of the goods) so the monthly repayments aren't too high.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    Make them an offer (assuming it's the one at guitarguitar you're talking about) and see what they say...I'd suggest that's probably on commission so there may be negotiating room if the seller is keen and there's not been much interest.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Ogami-Z said:

Yeah that's another option. I usually go finance when the options there because I usually pay a hefty deposit anywhere between £200 - £400ish (depending on the price of the goods) so the monthly repayments aren't too high.
    Yeah, so pay the 'deposit' in cash and put the rest on the card, alternatively don't buy it, learn to love the gear you have and embrace it with open ears.

or something. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Make them an offer (assuming it's the one at guitarguitar you're talking about) and see what they say...I'd suggest that's probably on commission so there may be negotiating room if the seller is keen and there's not been much interest.
    Good spot. I actually did make them an offer of £950 but the lowest they'd go was £1149. I've bought q lot of gear from guitarguitar, & got some good deals but not this time. Maybe it is as you say on commission & the seller doesn't want to go much lower than the asking price.

I don't know I'm sort of leaning towards getting one direct from Matamp with a few custom mods done. I'll probably have to make my mind up soon cause I can't see that GT1 sitting around to long before someone snaps it up.
    professorben said:Yeah, so pay the 'deposit' in cash and put the rest on the card, alternatively don't buy it, learn to love the gear you have and embrace it with open ears.

or something. 
    HAHA  =) To be honest I think I'm ready for a new amp & a Matamp just seems to fit the bill right now
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    I've got a 1224 that you could have. Haven't put it up for sale yet but was thinking of £650 if you're interested? 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    edited March 2017
    Somebody on this site is selling a Matamp GT1 for cheaper in the Classifieds.

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/97799/

£1299 for head AND cab. Probably guess about 800 for the head (if it's still for sale). Plus, look at that colour...

exocet said:
    I've got a 1224 that you could have. Haven't put it up for sale yet but was thinking of £650 if you're interested? 
    Not sure I can afford the £650 right now (which is why I was going the finance route) but that definitely seems like a good price for a 1224. How old is it, could you PM some pics? And I'll definitely consider it as I might be selling a guitar soon that should cover the bulk of the cost.

Dopesick said:
    Somebody on this site is selling a Matamp GT1 for cheaper in the Classifieds.

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/97799/

£1299 for head AND cab. Probably guess about 800 for the head (if it's still for sale). Plus, look at that colour...

Thanks for the heads up, that does look pretty sweat & a bargain with the cab but I don't have the funds for it which is why I was going to go for the other one via finance.
  • Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    PM sent @Ogami-Z
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    What I can say is, I played a GT-1 (pretty sure it was a GT-1 anyway) yonks ago... and bloody hell was it KILLERRRRRRRRR! At the time the guy wanted £900 for it and I was a poor student and couldn't afford it. This was at least 12 years ago!
    Drew_TNBD said:
    What I can say is, I played a GT-1 (pretty sure it was a GT-1 anyway) yonks ago... and bloody hell was it KILLERRRRRRRRR! At the time the guy wanted £900 for it and I was a poor student and couldn't afford it. This was at least 12 years ago!
    Thanks for your input Drew. Yes they seem to hold their value very well which is a good sign of a quality product. I think I'm better buying direct from Matamp & that way I'll get the amp that suits my needs which for now is mostly for the studio but eventually gigging.