MXR Distortion+

UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12886
Just picked one of these up (a modern one, not an original). 

Really like the tone, but is the output level supposed to be so "odd"? With the distortion maxed out it hits unity volume (compared to bypass) with the level control at about 1 o'clock on the dial and then by 3 o'clock there's a considerable boost. 

Cool tones mind you. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    Sounds about right. Did you want it to be louder?

I really like this effect. I've got a beige block-logo original and a reissue. Apparently some 80s guys used it for crunchy sounds, but I like it maxed out and used as a fuzz.

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12886
    Dunno about wanting it to be louder was just a bit surprised that with the level at 12 o'clock there's a volume cut. 

Might need to work out some kind of clean boost to go after it because it sounds bloody great with the level lower even if there's not enough volume! 

• timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    I gettcha. Well, the vintage version has Germanium clipping, so it's even quieter :-/
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    It's been a while since I had one but my memory of it (again a modern one) was that everything happened in a short bit of the travel of both knobs so it was tricky to dial in. However, very much has it's own thing going on once you get there. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    It's been a while since I had one but my memory of it (again a modern one) was that everything happened in a short bit of the travel of both knobs so it was tricky to dial in. However, very much has it's own thing going on once you get there. 

---Yeah that's pretty much the impression that I get thus far. Need to play with it some more because the two controls seem quite interactive. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I like the D+ as a bit of a boost to tighten up my Marshall.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

So far I'm liking it most with both controls pointed towards each other. Definitely liking it a lot thus far - best pedal honeymoon for a while. 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2348
    While since I've tried mine too but I seem to remember there not being much level boost on tap.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    They sound great as a boost with LED clipping. Much louder, too.
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Got an original v cheap a couple of years ago, and I really tried, cos I read that Steve Jones used one, but I could not get a sound I liked out of that thing, either as a straight distortion or pushing a clipping amp.

From memory it sort of had that loose Rat distortion thing, not good to my ears.  

Never tried it at volume though, maybe it works in that arena, bit like a Rat's supposed to.