Guitar Techniques?

What's Hot
Does anyone subscribe?  Want to know how useful you find it?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    I don't subscribe, but I have been buying it and playing through every note in it since issue 2 in 1994. I enjoy it a bit less now that it has no song transcriptions, but it is still fantastically useful for it's breadth across a range of genres. For instance, the fusion special this month is a brilliant source of bebop jazz material of played with swing semiquavers.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3037
    Not worth subscribing to. Better off buying tje odd issue that might have something of interest to you, unless you love going over the same blues lessons over and over again
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NiallseroreillyNiallseroreilly Frets: 504
    edited March 2017
    @bigjon do you find that learning the transcriptions improves your playing? I always feel with tab that it helps me play that isolated piece well but doesnt really inform my ear etc..
     I subscribe but whenever i start to learn something i always feel i would be better listening to the track and learning it that way. 
    Are there any tips youd recommend to get the best out of it?
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    I've got a load of back issues, if you fancy them?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've never found these sorts of magazines useful for learning in the manner intended. I often find the examples to be a bit contrived and sterile. I do think it's an excellent magazine though, and I find it useful for discovering players/bands I wouldn't find on my own. I enjoy the 60 seconds with, and instrumental inquisitions too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ElxElx Frets: 412
    The way I see it, for the price of the subscription you get 12 Shaun Baxter lessons. That's a pretty good deal...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    I practise the magazine cover to cover 4 times a week for 8 weeks, starting with the metronome on 40bpm and raising it one notch per practice till the speed is 152 bpm. I tend to him the bass notes to help me apply the theory as I go along. So it does inform my ear but to be fair not much that I practise makes it into my long-term improvisational repertoire.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I suppose @bigjon it keeps you sharp.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    I'd suggest the lessons sn in Guitar Interactive are better value for money as they are free  ;)
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

Long-time subscriber here (and collector, with the full set). I return to back issues in my library to work on stuff I wasn't up to or into when it first came out. There's some amazing music in there, with Guthrie, Dave Kilminster, etc. going bonkers before they became famous. And little-known players featured who are equally killer.

I've not had much time for systematically working through material like @bigjon, but I do read every issue and learn something that sticks/find something that inspires me, that's quite useful enough for a magazine with CD – easily justifies my sub. 

• andypandyp Frets: 332
    Would this be a useful buy for an intermediate level player? I buy Total Guitar and quite often want to play through their lessons but never really bother. I go to a lesson once a week and find stuff on YouTube but I've been wondering how to expand this some more - and accelerate my learning basically.

Andy
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    andyp said:
    Would this be a useful buy for an intermediate level player? I buy Total Guitar and quite often want to play through their lessons but never really bother. I go to a lesson once a week and find stuff on YouTube but I've been wondering how to expand this some more - and accelerate my learning basically.

Andy
    Well, the obvious thing would be to start working through and learning the material you already have? Why would switching from Total Guitar to Guitar Techniques help - unless you prefer the content a lot more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Yeah, I agree. I was really just wondering if it's more structured than what TG do - which seems to be pretty much stand alone things to work on that month.