Rare pedal I found ...

What's Hot
markvmarkv Frets: 459
I bet there aren't many of these around any more:

http://i.imgur.com/asDt5Gw.jpg

It's a Ken Multi MCP-7 Compressor. If I recall through the hazy university memories, I bought this in 1990, at Maplins in Manchester, for the princely sum of £29.95 (actually the amount is written on the box. Yes, it's still boxed!)

I can't remember the last time I used this, but about 20 years ago I bought a BOSS CS-3 and this got put back in its box and never used again, so it's at least that long ago.

Amazingly, it still works - and doesn't sound terrible either. My guess is that it's a CS-2 copy - certainly the enclosure is pretty much the same as the BOSS, albeit entirely made of grey plastic - and so although it's always in circuit, it's pretty transparent when it's not on (unlike the Ken Multi MPH-7 Phaser, which had a significant effect on the sound even when off). It goes pretty squashy and pretty loud and all-in-all is entirely usable.

If only "rare" (which I'm sure it is) was equal to valuable. As it is, I might as well keep it. (Unless there's any Ken Multi completists out there who care to offer me a vast sum for this unique opportunity to own an original, boxed in excellent condition ...)

Anyone else remember Ken Multi effects?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Yeah I remember those, didn't they pair up with the Barbie Malibu recording studio and pedalboard?
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    Yeah I remember those, didn't they pair up with the Barbie Malibu recording studio and pedalboard?
    LOL, yeah, always thought it was particularly rubbish name for a range of pedals! It's certainly plasticy enough for Barbie & Ken.

Interesting thing though: £30 in 1990 is the equivalent of £60 today, according to the Bank of England. Now think what pedals you could get for £60 today that are better than this. Lots, right?
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    I ended up with the broken wired Ken Multi Metal that was in the Goodie Bag  that went round! Was going to give it to a young student to help them get on their way until I tried it...Staggeringly, it makes the most exquisite sound with my Tweed Deluxe and PRS P90! No not dialed as a Metal setting(!) but edge of Fuzz/drive... Is a keeper now!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    LOL, yeah, always thought it was particularly rubbish name for a range of pedals! It's certainly plasticy enough for Barbie & Ken.

Interesting thing though: £30 in 1990 is the equivalent of £60 today, according to the Bank of England. Now think what pedals you could get for £60 today that are better than this. Lots, right?
    It's not a fair comparison really, Chinese clones of classic circuits can be had for peanuts these days..
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    edited March 2017
    I have a similarly rare pedal from the 70's that you won't often come across - its a "clone" of an Aria RE-90 Super Phaser / Arbiter Soundhouse Super Phaser / Hi-Max Phase Shifter. Still sounds very good & built like a tank (this is a pic off the net, - mine is immaculate):

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    57Deluxe said:
    I ended up with the broken wired Ken Multi Metal that was in the Goodie Bag  that went round! Was going to give it to a young student to help them get on their way until I tried it...Staggeringly, it makes the most exquisite sound with my Tweed Deluxe and PRS P90! No not dialed as a Metal setting(!) but edge of Fuzz/drive... Is a keeper now!
    I had a Ken Multi "Ultra Metal" way back when. I recall that I could get a fairly convincing "Flying In A Blue Dream" lead sound. Not that I could play "Flying In A Blue Dream".

I gave mine to my then-girlfriend's little brother. He was heavily in to Nine Inch Nails, and managed to get a pretty decent approximation of their guitar tones by plugging the pedal in to a pair of laptop speakers :D

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.