Has anyone recreated Gretsch Aspen Green?

I really like the look of Gretsch's Aspen Green metallic as used on their 5420 models. Judging by other comments on this forum I'm not alone in thinking it's a pretty cool colour. I'd like to use it for a new guitar project.

The Gretsch colour does not seem to be available and, in any event, being an Electromatic series guitar the paint would be poly, not nitro. My attempts so far to match the colour using mixed nitro metallics have not got close enough so I was wondering whether any of the builders here have successfully recreated Gretsch Aspen Green?

There are several Aspen Green metallic car colours but they are totally different to the Gretsch colour so it's a matter of finding the right colour mix.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8822
    tFB Trader
    Gorgeous colour. Have you tried mixing clear nitro with a few drops of green and perhaps white or grey? I haven't tried it myself but Id give it a go if I did have the colours to test
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549

Could try RAL 6011...

https://www.ralcolorchart.com/ral-6011-reseda-green

I did some eyedropper clicking of images of both the guitar and the RAL swatch, and the balance between RGB is about the same. If anything, the Gretsch colour is a bit less saturated (ie, more red and blue in Photoshop).

Maybe RAL 6011 with a bit of white?

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    @lonestar and @Nomad thanks for your suggestions which are helpful.

Like @Nomad I tried the eyedropper matching method at first, also arriving at a colour similar to RAL6011, but online photos vary greatly in colour. That's because Aspen Green has a pronounced metallic quality and varies in colour hugely depending on the angle of view and the temperature of lighting. When three samples prepared as variants of RAL6011 were compared with an actual Gretsch guitar in diffused daylight they were far too green. I think it's fair to say that most online photos and videos are shot in warmer artificial light.

In indirect daylight Aspen Green looks substantially silver/grey with an Ice Blue-ish hue and a subtle hint of green. In fact, when playing a 5420 a few days ago the top side of the guitar viewed from player's position looked silver. Yet in some online views the side looks mid-green.

So, a fiendishly difficult colour to replicate but a large constituant of the colour quality seems to be silver/grey.

Any other thoughts on this would be very welcome.

tFB Trader
    Jimbro66 said:
    @lonestar and @Nomad thanks for your suggestions which are helpful.

Like @Nomad I tried the eyedropper matching method at first, also arriving at a colour similar to RAL6011, but online photos vary greatly in colour. That's because Aspen Green has a pronounced metallic quality and varies in colour hugely depending on the angle of view and the temperature of lighting. When three samples prepared as variants of RAL6011 were compared with an actual Gretsch guitar in diffused daylight they were far too green. I think it's fair to say that most online photos and videos are shot in warmer artificial light.

In indirect daylight Aspen Green looks substantially silver/grey with an Ice Blue-ish hue and a subtle hint of green. In fact, when playing a 5420 a few days ago the top side of the guitar viewed from player's position looked silver. Yet in some online views the side looks mid-green.

So, a fiendishly difficult colour to replicate but a large constituant of the colour quality seems to be silver/grey.

Any other thoughts on this would be very welcome.

It is a stunning colour for sure mate. I think my issue was looking at photos on google doesn't come close to how majestic it'll look in real life. 

Ill be mixing a few cool colours for bodies that I'm about to spray, I maybe a crack at this myself.
    lonestar said:

It is a stunning colour for sure mate. I think my issue was looking at photos on google doesn't come close to how majestic it'll look in real life. 

Ill be mixing a few cool colours for bodies that I'm about to spray, I maybe a crack at this myself.
    If you do that please let me know how you get on. Ta.
    tFB Trader
    Jimbro66 said:
    lonestar said:

If you do that please let me know how you get on. Ta.
    I shall indeed, happy to report my findings if I get close.
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851
    if you have a gander at Fenders Sage green metallic it's nigh on identical, I mixed up a batch of sage last year for a tele i did for a customer, got some left over if it's any use to you?
    it'd be bottled so you'd need a spray gun etc to get it on the guitar!!!!
    tFB Trader
    lamf68 said:
    it'd be bottled so you'd need a spray gun etc to get it on the guitar!!!!
    Should @Jimbro66 pass up on the offer I'd like to be next in line for that bottle mate
    @lonestar no problem man, I'll let you know.
  • While were on the subject, anybody know what colour the old Kotzen green tele was? The pictures of it I've seen seem to vary quite a lot... Paler than 7up green, almost burst like in other pics..... I've a great gsp contoured tele body I'd 
    I've to get done like that green......
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3003
    While were on the subject, anybody know what colour the old Kotzen green tele was? The pictures of it I've seen seem to vary quite a lot... Paler than 7up green, almost burst like in other pics..... I've a great gsp contoured tele body I'd 
    Cool, it arrived !
    DrBob said:
    While were on the subject, anybody know what colour the old Kotzen green tele was? The pictures of it I've seen seem to vary quite a lot... Paler than 7up green, almost burst like in other pics..... I've a great gsp contoured tele body I'd 
    Cool, it arrived !
    What arrived????