F***ing Popping Bastard Footswitches

What's Hot
BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2208
One of the things that drives me absolutely spare, and it keeps happening...popping footswitches.

I had this issue with a Dr Scientist The Elements I sold (and then bought back because of the issue) to @Wazmeister, and a couple of pedals before this, and now the Zvex.

I don't mind a wee pop, but I got a Zvex Super Duper home, and it sounded like gunshots. I tried everything, a buffer before and after, individual power supply, different parts of the chain, and finally just the pedal on its own. Every time. BANG. The switches do seem very tight to press, and I don't think it's my home's electrics, as the wiring here is very good (unlike my last place).

I'm taking it back to the shop tomorrow. I bet none of you Helix/FX8 users have to put up with this...yeah...you lucky bleeders!

Not looking for advice, just a wee vent. Other than that, no complaints, the pedalboard is sounding blissful.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Yup. If I buy a pedal that does that I send it back as faulty. I'm amazed anyone puts up with it. Jhs colour box has been the worst.
  • Yup. If I buy a pedal that does that I send it back as faulty. I'm amazed anyone puts up with it. Jhs colour box has been the worst.
    When makers say, "it's just part and parcel of a TB pedal, just turn the switch on and off a few times before use". Yep tried that. BANG.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12881
    I'm trying very hard to avoid pedals with that kind of switching. Boss is ideal, otherwise something like the optical relays that Juansolo uses. 
  • I'm trying very hard to avoid pedals with that kind of switching. Boss is ideal, otherwise something like the optical relays that Juansolo uses. 
    The Fairfield comp had that kind of switch but it's not too bad, and it's an always-on pedal anyway. I don't know why pedal makers don't have soft-switching as standard: there's probably a technical reason of some kind, I don't know.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    I've just decided to get rid of all pedals which use mechanical switching and never buy another. I hate the feel of the switches, the pops and the reliability problems, and I'm not a fan of true bypass.

Mechanical click switches were consigned to the dustbin of history by about the early 80s, when any serious pedal had proper soft switching, usually with a nice big pedal actuator. But then something went wrong about twenty years ago with the rise of 'boutique' pedals, where crude mechanical switching was somehow promoted as 'desirable' again… and now we're in the ridiculous situation where even companies like Boss and Digitech are releasing new pedals with metal switches - although to be fair, often operating soft switching… but even so it pisses me off.

[/pet peeve]

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    I've never had this problem on any pedal and all mine apart from the one Boss have that type of switch. Even an EHX which id heard can be notorious for it. What causes it?
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9448
    Yep, you are right - NEVER happens with the FX8
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    TTBZ said:

What causes it?
    A tiny build-up of charge on the switch contacts - it can either come from the pedal circuit itself, or from something else in the chain, typically the amp if it has a direct-coupled first valve stage. You can fix it with pull-down resistors if it's from the pedal circuit. If it's coming from the amp it's usually a case of replacing the V1 valve, but also running any buffered pedal - which isn't itself causing a voltage leak! - between the cause of the trouble and the affected pedal will block it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Yep, you are right - NEVER happens with the FX8
    OY KNYOW YAM'D SAY THAT!

Never happens with the Strymon or Eventide pedals and still absolutely love them. The FX8, having tried one, is just stunning, with you on that: the sequencer/arpegiator is stupid amounts of fun. Just not for me at this moment in time. I've a lot more exploring to do with what I already have before I go leaping into high-end multi-FX world.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    You sure you don't just need to permanently connect yourself to an earth bar? ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hate this. Only one switch of mine makes an audible pop, which is a juansolo one knob boost (super hard on) but it's less poppy by far than the old sho clone i had. I think juansolo has his own design that's better now, though. I don't mind it on the sho as it's going to make things louder than the pop by far so you only notice it at home volume.

If it was an overdrive or modulation and it popped it's out. I find it really annoying.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    Yep, you are right - NEVER happens with the FX8
    OY KNYOW YAM'D SAY THAT!

Never happens with the Strymon or Eventide pedals and still absolutely love them.
    I had a customer with a popping Strymon, he had to change the pedal to buffered bypass, it is an option built in to engage it, he actually preferred the tone with the buffer in place.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16254
    I had poppping pedals last night at the gig and terrible single coil hum, although the old Boss tuner didn't pop. No pops on anything earlier in the week. I don't know to what extent there could be a link between the pick ups humming and the pedals (minifooger, lovepedal, ZVex, MXR - I think they all popped) popping? Seemed beyond coincidence. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1005
    Would it help if you bought a relay based true bypass looper pedal and put the offending pedals in that?

im not saying it's acceptable. It's crapola. I agree with ICBM. Boss=best switching ever. Big clear easy quiet mechanically and no pops. 
  • You sure you don't just need to permanently connect yourself to an earth bar? ;)
    It's the sheer unbridled electricity of my playing...erm, clearly.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    Would it help if you bought a relay based true bypass looper pedal and put the offending pedals in that?

im not saying it's acceptable. It's crapola. I agree with ICBM. Boss=best switching ever. Big clear easy quiet mechanically and no pops. 
    Mechanical relays would likely still pop if the problem is with the pedals
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    How come it doesn't happen with Boss pedals?  They gave switches too, maybe because they're plastic or something? 
    You sure you don't just need to permanently connect yourself to an earth bar? ;)
    Either that or you're playing on a shag pile carpet in your socks and shuffling around like the Shadows ;)
  • You sure you don't just need to permanently connect yourself to an earth bar? ;)
    Either that or you're playing on a shag pile carpet in your socks and shuffling around like the Shadows ;)
    When did you start installing spy cameras in my house?
    When did you start installing spy cameras in my house?
    I could smell the nylon burns from here...!