Vocals through Studio Monitors

olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
Hi, this isn't really Guitar related, but my Brother is hosting an event with around 80 people and the Venue doesn't have a PA System.

Is it possible to use my Studio Monitors as Speakers, they are quite small with 4.5 inch drivers.

Also I would probably plug the mic into my Zoom G5 to use as a Preamp, would there be any issues there?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm not familiar with the Zoom, but the biggest problem you might face is volume.  Most small monitors aren't very powerful and as such I'm not sure you're going to get enough volume for a room with 80 people in it.

I'd look down the route of hiring a small PA to be honest.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I'm not familiar with the Zoom, but the biggest problem you might face is volume.  Most small monitors aren't very powerful and as such I'm not sure you're going to get enough volume for a room with 80 people in it.

I'd look down the route of hiring a small PA to be honest.

I though as much, trying to chase a friend who has a larger PA System, I think it's possibly an 8 inch speaker. 

The venue are charging £200 to use their mic and portable PA. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    I'd be looking to use a bass amp before I'd use studio monitors.
    Even a clean guitar amp.

As said above the issue will be volume- I'd imagine blowing a tweeter would be pretty likely if you run it all the way up.

Or hire a small PA.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    Is it for spoken vocal, or singing? If it's spoken, then as octatonic said use a bass amp, keyboard amp or guitar amp (set clean obviously!) before studio monitors, which there's a good chance of damaging if you turn them up too far.

£200 for a one-off mic and portable PA hire is ridiculous and cheeky, you could buy something for that. You could certainly get something that will do the job from the likes of Cash Generator for less than that, and then either keep it if it's useful or sell it afterwards.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein