Vintage danelectro/silvertones

riscadoriscado Frets: 180
edited July 2017 in Guitar
Has anyone here owned or played old 50s/60s danelectro/silvertones? What do you think of them?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2464
    Yeah, I have an old Silvertone, it's really cool actually. Sounds really strat-like and is really addictive through a good fender reverb.
    https://i.imgur.com/fTny0gi.jpg
  • riscadoriscado Frets: 180
    edited July 2017
    I went to see cat power yesterday in London, Chan was sporting her usual copper U1 danelectro, being playing through a reissue 65 twin reverb. Huge sound, really liked the tone, but obviously it was more about the performer in this case.

I've always thought danos were extremely cool, but was always sort of put off due to the masonite/pine bodies, and non adjustable necks. I'm kind of afraid I'll ruin the guitar quickly.
    riscado said:
    I went to see cat power yesterday in London, Chan was sporting her usual copper U1 danelectro, being playing through a reissue 65 twin reverb. Huge sound, really liked the tone, but obviously it was more about the performer in this case.

I've always thought danos were extremely cool, but was always sort of put off due to the masonite/pine bodies, and non adjustable necks. I'm kind of afraid I'll ruin the guitar quickly.
    My one needed a bit of a set up when I got it, just basic stuff that I could do and now it plays brilliantly. They're relatively cheap so give one a whirl... mine cost me about £250.
    edited July 2017
    Thanks man, that's really helpful. Is it a reissue or an older one? The older ones seem to go for a lot more money nowadays.
    riscado said:
    Thanks man, that's really helpful. Is it a reissue or an older one? The older ones seem to go for a lot more money nowadays.
    It's an early 60's 'amp in case' model. Got lucky on gumtree!
    edited July 2017
    Nice, it looks really cool!