Marshall 6101LM Anniversary Series

AndyBellAndyBell Frets: 1

Hi, I'm Andy.

This is my first post, I'm not a guitarist or claim to know anything about guitarism! I'm on here for a bit of information.

My guitar enthusiast stepfather unfortunately passed away 3 years ago and my Mum has just got round to getting rid of some of his old gear. Everything has sold apart from a Marshall 6101LM, its the later version with the 5881 valves rather than the EL34's.

Basically I'm struggling to shift it, the only interest I've had is from a dealer so politely declined as it was quite soon after I put it up for sale.

He's had it from new, purchased from Carlsbro in Leeds in 1995, it's never been gigged and was rarely used even at home. A friend of mine has tested it and confirmed it as working. It's in really good nick, only 2 very minor marks to the tolex that I can find.....and you have to look hard for them. The foot switch is included, boxed and unused. I have it up for £500 and open to offers.

Is my price too high?
Is there something off about this particular model?

Any information that someone could give me would be great.

Thanks in advance for any help.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30887
    edited March 2017
    AndyBell said:

Hi, I'm Andy.

This is my first post, I'm not a guitarist or claim to know anything about guitarism! I'm on here for a bit of information.

My guitar enthusiast stepfather unfortunately passed away 3 years ago and my Mum has just got round to getting rid of some of his old gear. Everything has sold apart from a Marshall 6101LM, its the later version with the 5881 valves rather than the EL34's.

Basically I'm struggling to shift it, the only interest I've had is from a dealer so politely declined as it was quite soon after I put it up for sale.

He's had it from new, purchased from Carlsbro in Leeds in 1995, it's never been gigged and was rarely used even at home. A friend of mine has tested it and confirmed it as working. It's in really good nick, only 2 very minor marks to the tolex that I can find.....and you have to look hard for them. The foot switch is included, boxed and unused. I have it up for £500 and open to offers.

Is my price too high?
    Is there something off about this particular model?

Any information that someone could give me would be great.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Andy

Welcome aboard!

I think these are great amps but they're unloved for a few reasons:

1. Ribbon wiring- pains to work on- horrible IBM style computer ribbon wiring.
    2. Run hot enough to keep a takeaway warm which causes issues with 1 above
    3. 5881's unloved, but easy enough to swap back to EL34's with a screen resistor swap and re-biasing. @icbm will give details about this.
    4. You must have the footswtich (I see that's included).

Price- pretty much spot on- I sold one for 425 a couple of yrs ago.

If you can wait to end of month I'll give you 450 for it as I really like them. PM me.

Is it blue or black?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72297
    ^ What he said.

They're a very good-sounding - although not very 'fashionable' sounding - very versatile amp, but are known for reliability problems and being hard to work on, to the point that some techs won't. To be honest they are not *that* bad, but a lot of people are nervous about owning one and hence they don't command a good price. A bit sad considering what they cost new, but the market is what it is.

I would take Gassage's offer if you don't get any other interest before then, it's fair.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• AndyBellAndyBell Frets: 1
    Hi both,

Thanks for the replies, come to think of it someone mentioned possible heating issues but I'd forgotten about it.  Maybe that's why.

@Gassage it's black and I still have the original receipt from Carlsbro.
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    I sold one which was the later 5881 version like your in good nick about 8 months ago on ebay. I got a fair bit of interest and it sold for £500 but took a few weeks. I had plenty of offers around the £400 mark had i wanted to sell it sooner. £450 is a fair price.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11590
    tFB Trader
    The blue ones wth the brass frontage would get more for their limited edition factor, although seeing the LM part pretty much told me it would be a black one. the LM was a modification to the lead channel to fatten it up as the early 6101s were thought to sound a bit thin in the grunge era that they were released in.

Some actually preferred the slightly raspy sound of the unmodified version.

However what was great about both versions was it was a midi programmable amp so the three channels could change along with your FX automatically

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    And the clean and 'yellow' channels were great!  I never really bonded with the lead channel on mine, but gigged with one and a Boss ME-5 for 10 years back in the days when I had one guitar and an old spare, pre-internet when GAS was what Americans called petrol
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    Yes the highlight for me on this amp was the yellow channel. Far too much gain on the red.
  • AndyBellAndyBell Frets: 1
    Thanks everyone for the replies.  If anyone is interested and just fancies a quick look it's on fleabay at the moment.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282366187812?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649