Not Wolf tones. Unwanted resonance/feedback - any advice

What's Hot
JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
edited March 2017 in Guitar
My latest gas (thread to follow shortly) is a Gretsch New Yorker, it generates screaming feedback on 5th string at frets 5-7 with even just a brush of the string.

Apart from just avoid those frets on that string, anyone got any other advice ?
Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    Unlikely to be wolf tones as many strat players experience from pickups being too close to strings and causing an interference with the free vibration of the low string , but sounds crazy - suspect it to be a resonance thing?

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    Right. Forget wolf-tones then.

I used to have a Tangle wood ES175 copy - that had similar resonance/feedback issues, eased a tad by a replacement rosewood compensated jazz bridge.

Feedback
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    Any chance of you recording a video of the problem?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Feedback is more normally amp related.  You don't have a valve that's gone microphonic at that frequency do you?

If you have another guitar, does the amp do the same thing with that, or if you have another amp does this guitar do the same with that amp?
    Amp is s/s, Henricksen Jazz Amp, and this is at rehersal/performance volume not home noodling.

Doesn't do it with other (archtop) guitars.

Not tried it on another amp yet, PRRI would be most likely, or AER 60 perhaps

Going to try a different amp/guitar position (amp behind neck, rather than body).

Feedback
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

I agree with @crunchman about microphonic valves, if it's a high pitched squeal, though could be the pickup as well.

Does it build after you set the string vibrating?  or is it immediate? is it clearly a d - e note you're getting?

All my archtops do this to a greater or lesser degree; the position / note varies but they all have a "sweet" spot somewhere.  Aware of where it happens and appropriate damping is the only real cure I've found.

No squeal.  Again - IT'S A SOLID STATE AMP ! ;)

Builds after any vibration and clearly limited to d-e on 5th string

Never happens on my Sadowsky Jim Hall Special (or my LeVoi Maccaferri via AER60)

Feedback
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    I've tried everything with my various Gibson's.    As you said, wooden bridges help, as do heavier strings and flat wounds, rolling off the bass on the amp can help too, as can your position in relation to the speaker, but ultimately if that top is going to resonate, it will and the only solution is have your right palm ready to stop it  ....  
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Do you have a clip on tuner ?  You could try that to see if the weight changes the resonance of the neck, or maybe try a bit more weight with a few coins etc.  Don't know if that would narrow it down, worth a try mebee ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16658
    Do you have a clip on tuner ?  You could try that to see if the weight changes the resonance of the neck, or maybe try a bit more weight with a few coins etc.  Don't know if that would narrow it down, worth a try mebee ?

Clip on tuner or Capo - If it is a resonance issue it may help, but sometimes just moves it to a different area. 

Other things to rule out are internal damage such as a loose part - worse case is a loose brace etc.

Its really hard to be specific without seeing the guitar

• artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    It's a long shot but have you checked for any truss rod rattle ?. All it takes its for the rod to be sympathetically vibrating against the cavity on a single frequency ( usually a specific note or combo of notes) to create a vibration that travels through the guitar. All it takes to rectify it is a tiny adjustment either way. 
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    How are the pickups mounted? Could it be vibration of mounting springs against the screws or the bottom of the pickup, or any other part of the mounting assembly?
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    Yes as suggested a 'snuck up' on the truss rod may help to ensure the threads are engaged, no loose parts in the PUs and surrounds, push some foam or card beside the PUs to keep them very still and firm. Try clamp on weights (capo/tuner) in different locations on the peg head, and keep you right hand ready for a quick draw/damping, keeping it rested on the bridge ready worked for me.
    Pickup/Bridge pic - there's foam underneath

Feedback
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8693
    Maybe it's not holding it firmly enough?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14185
    tFB Trader
    I slightly confused by above and various suggestions - are you finding that a particular note, or two, on a particular string causes a howling type of feedback - if so this can be common such arch top models with such pick-ups - almost a sympathetic resonance to the guitars natural pitch and the note you play

various suggestions are based on volume you play and proximity to the amp - many old jazz players used very small amps then house pa to amplify accordingly for gigs to avoid this- and even early days of Scotty Moore with Elvis and they only used small amps - you can 'stuff' the body with foam, but I'm not sure how much that will diminish it, but worth a try - I've known players try a piece of pine dowel cut accordingly that is 'wedged' between the top/bottom of the body - like a sound post on a violin - to minimise vibration of teh top - maybe cuts back on the guitars natural acoustic voice but can help the amplified voice - Both 'cheap' options so try them out
    It's definitely sympathetic vibration.

Going to try harder packing under the floating pickup - felt pads like you put on chair legs when they're on hard floors to cut the noise, and dropping the scratchplate a tad to anchor the other end of the p/u (there's a lug for that).

Feedback
    tFB Trader
    Jalapeno said:
    It's definitely sympathetic vibration.

Going to try harder packing under the floating pickup - felt pads like you put on chair legs when they're on hard floors to cut the noise, and dropping the scratchplate a tad to anchor the other end of the p/u (there's a lug for that).
    if it is  a mechanical rattle as such then obviously try such mods - I'm still unsure if you mean it is mechanical or some sympathetic 'feedback' - let me know if I can help further
    Definitely feedback - don't know where this truss-rod rattle wibble etc came from

Feedback
    tFB Trader
    Jalapeno said:
    Definitely feedback - don't know where this truss-rod rattle wibble etc came from
    okay - that was why I asking - I think you need to try the internal 'sponge' and or string post dowel

see if this helps a bit - http://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/everything-else/54976-archtop-feedback-how-do-you-deal.html
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom