PRS S2 Starla?

What's Hot
Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2324
edited March 2017 in Guitar

Hi all

I'm fairly new to here but I've been on here to check out ThorpyFX and Magnetic Effects in the past.

It's nice to get a UK perspective on things.

I've not bought a new guitar for a while (although I've bought a fair few decent pedals and a nice Fender Flea Jazz Bass) and this is mainly due to having enough to play with, and the fact the prices have sky rocketed recently.

I fancy trying a PRS, and the Starla looks wonderful. I don't think the fancy tops of the core models suit me much...the odd one looks great but some of them look OTT.

However, the build quality of PRS really attracts me.

Can anyone comment on the quality of the S2 build? I like the idea of the jangly Starla pickups and the Bigsby.

It's either one of these or wait for the right Jazzmaster.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• agibboagibbo Frets: 102
    I've just purchased an S2 Vela and it's excellent. The build quality and materials used are the usual PRS high standard, and I don't see it as a compromise guitar. I also own a 2001 Singlecut, and side by side they are different guitars, but there is no difference in quality. The Starla humbucker in the Vela is awesome too! Bright, but not shrill. It's also open sounding and doesn't compress like some humbucker do. It splits beautifully too!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5405
    edited March 2017
    The Starla is very good - would be my second favourite S2 after the Vela - but for new S2 Starla money you should be able to find a 2nd hand "Core" Starla which is a much better guitar.

The Starla pickups, despite retaining the name in the "S2 switch" are not the same as the originals - the originals were based on Filtertrons, the S2 versions based on Teisco Del-Rays. So the OG version has more jangle.

The original Starlas have 24.5" scales and genuine B5 Bigsbys - the S2s have 25" and B50 'licensed' Bigsbys. The Core variants also have wider necks (Wide/Fat vs Pattern Regular on the S2s).

The only possible "improvement" the S2 variant has are the locking tuners. The original uses 'vintage' tuners which are OK but not totally ideal on a Bigbsy-equipped guitar. That said, the nuts are really good and the hardware is top-notch otherwise so tuning stability really isn't all that bad.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2324
    Thanks! The S2 I'm looking at is the right colour and is about £200 off the normal shop price as a new guitar....so I'm tempted. I really want a nice all mahogany guitar without going to a Gibson....I just don't bond that well with Gibsons despite loving the sound of an SG and LP.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3320
    edited March 2017
    I sold all my core models and bought two S2's in their place ( and pocketed a chunk of change too).  I think the quality of the guitars is fantastic , the playability is just the same as the Core USA models but I prefer the bevel cut of the S2's as their more comfy under my forearm. The Nut is well cut, the tuners hold perfectly and the weight and balance is spot on. I may change pickups down the line but im in no rush to do anything.

I have a Vela and a Standard 24 satin. I much prefer the finish and feel of the satin model but I enjoy the Vela more as an instrument.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Whitecat said:
    The Core variants also have wider necks (Wide/Fat vs Pattern Regular on the S2s).

This would a major selling point for the S2 for me.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5405
    I like both carves, they're the same depth.