Does anybody know iff this is normal..(valves)

What's Hot
BarneyBarney Frets: 616
edited March 2017 in Amps
I just turned my amp around to measure it for a cover and noticed the valves...is this normal...they look as though they are over heating or something 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26577
    Need a bigger photo, dude - the reflections make it pretty hard to tell at that size.
    <space for hire>
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    Need a bigger photo, dude - the reflections make it pretty hard to tell at that size.
    Ok ...thanks will take one out and post again... :)
    Ok ...this is a better pic i think :)
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

If you mean the silvering on the inside of the glass, that is perfectly normal. Part of the manufacturing process.

It's a pump!  ;)   

martinw said:

If you mean the silvering on the inside of the glass, that is perfectly normal. Part of the manufacturing process.

It's a pump!  ;)   

Ahhh...yeah thats what i was meaning ... thanks .. i will give myself a slap now  :)
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Am i correct in thinking that the silvering is from the 'getter' which is a chemical reaction to remove as much 'air' as possible once the manufacture of the valve structure is complete?

Adam
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Kalimna said:
    Am i correct in thinking that the silvering is from the 'getter' which is a chemical reaction to remove as much 'air' as possible once the manufacture of the valve structure is complete?

Adam

Yes. Not air though as you imply. Actually Oxygen I think.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72317
    Kalimna said:
    Yes - and they deliberately put in too much so the remainder will mop up any tiny amount of air that leaks in over the course of the valve's life. If you see the getter flash becoming thin/semi-transparent or a sort of dirty pink colour, it's more or less used up and the valve doesn't have long left even if it seems to be working OK at the moment.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

It usually barium, which reacts with both oxygen and nitrogen to help maintain the vacuum in the valve.

Cheers for the extra info. I had used the word 'air' as i made the assumption that the valve manufacturing plants did not have de-nitrogenation. I just wasnt sure what would mop up both oxygen and nitrogen.
    Cheers,
    Adam
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Kalimna said:
    Cheers for the extra info. I had used the word 'air' as i made the assumption that the valve manufacturing plants did not have de-nitrogenation. I just wasnt sure what would mop up both oxygen and nitrogen.
    Cheers,
    Adam

It also mops up gas released from the internal structures, for example mica used for spacers has a significant water content.

This is why valves overheating is bad as it can cause release of gas from internal structures.

The valve elements are "sparged" with hydrogen before assembly to reduce adsorbed gas too.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    jpfamps said:

The valve elements are "sparged" with hydrogen before assembly to reduce adsorbed gas too.
    Well that's a new word I've learnt today :)
    Again, very interesting, thank you.
    I know of sparging from the glorious process of beer making, but not this usage.

Cheers,
    Adam
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    You guys talk about stuff sometimes that is so far above my head that it could see the curvature of the earth (er, or not)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Ok I'll lol that :)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Cabicular said:
    Ok I'll lol that :)
    I'm genuinely amazed by the knowledge of some folks on here sometimes..! (joking aside, that is)