Andertons-visiting-savvy people - a question...

What's Hot

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited March 2017
    During the week, you might get lucky and nab one of the few spaces on the shop forecourt.

Across the road, there are some bays that you can use and a 5 min walk on that same side, away from Guildford Town Centre, there are some more bays and what appears to be a trucker's greasy spoon but I don't know what it's like.

If any of those aren't any good to you, if you head past Andertons toward the town centre, just after the big roundabout is a multi-storey car park on the right (yet again, 5 mins walk).

As mentioned, there's a pub next door to the place but you can walk into Guildford and there's tons of eateries there.

As to the shop, I've always found them to be helpful and knowledgeable and if an item is at the warehouse, it can be with you within the hour but as mentioned here, it's best to call ahead and check stock and if necessary, get that in place.

If you're going to Andertons and have the time, drive another 20 mins and go to Guitar Village in Farnham. If you drive another 25 mins towards London, that will land you at Guitar Guitar, Epsom and then you would've done what I call "The Surrey Rim of Music Shops".

Enjoy yourselves
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    TimmyO said:
    Yeah I looked up the L3 - too big/heavy for me, or I'd have had the ones in the classifieds. 
    Hope the L2 is lighter - and not just proportionately either! I'm going to put money on a DXR10 coming home with you.
  • NickNick Frets: 98
    TimmyO said:
    Couple of questions :
    1. If the shop parking is full (think they have 3-4 places out front?) where's best to park?
    2. Is there a suitably good greasy-spoon type eatery nearby where we can meet up in advance? 
    Free for two hours across the road in the bays. Go to Woodbridge Cafe about five miunutes down the road (past the Nisa garage and across the street).

If you're looking at guitars be sure to ask for Will J, he always offers excellent service.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SickSquidSickSquid Frets: 152
    edited March 2017
    I live in Guildford, within walking distance of Andertons
    and drive to Epsom for guitar gear
    just saying

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    SickSquid said:
    just saying

I don't blame you at all, the Epsom store is excellent 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7414
    SickSquid said:
    just saying

Could you drive to Epsom tomorrow so I can park on your drive? :) 
    Red ones are better. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    Kebabkid said:

If you're going to Andertons and have the time, drive another 20 mins and go to Guitar Village in Farnham. If you drive another 25 mins towards London, that will land you at Guitar Guitar, Epsom and then you would've done what I call "The Surrey Rim of Music Shops".

Enjoy yourselves
    This is one of my favourite days out and the only one in which the term 'rimming' is ever used...

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28148
    Jalapeno said:

And I'm the "other" forumite referred to
    I thought it was me - I'm only two miles away.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    Jalapeno said:

And I'm the "other" forumite referred to
    I thought it was me - I'm only two miles away.
    Come along. Sprocket is invited. She can bring you if you promise not to poo in the shop. 
    Red ones are better. 
    Hmm. She's met Lee already so surely he can't object to her popping in...
    Woodbridge Cafe, 1230.
    Red ones are better. 
    Work are making me work! It's quite unreasonable.

Sadly I will therefore have to leave you to it.
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1711
    SickSquid said:
    just saying

I can easily believe that. We called in to Andertons last year after seeing the YouTube videos and was disappointed. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    SickSquid said:
    just saying

I can easily believe that. We called in to Andertons last year after seeing the YouTube videos and was disappointed. 

Why so, if I may ask?  Guildford is a long trip for me, I'm tempted from the videos to pop down but if it isn't worth it...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    You guys are just spoiled - the sheer amount of different stuff they have all in one place is unheard of around where I live. 

They had pretty much *every* speaker I wanted to try, I lined them all up in the downstairs room and compared to my hearts content. 

On the way out I also did a quick A/B of the Martin 000-28EC (which I own) and the OM-28 - I've been trying to do that in London stores for ages but nowhere ever had both. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1711
    edited March 2017
    SickSquid said:
    just saying

Why so, if I may ask?  Guildford is a long trip for me, I'm tempted from the videos to pop down but if it isn't worth it...
    I guess it's subjective n only my opinion but it all felt to clinical and fancy if you get what I mean.
    It was a Saturday n most of the staff force looked like kids and they where everywhere and It felt like you were been watch all the time. 
    But then we went to the guitar village and that was really good more of the stuff we like. 
    And a better shop imo
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2760
    Nick said:
    TimmyO said:
    Couple of questions :
    1. If the shop parking is full (think they have 3-4 places out front?) where's best to park?
    2. Is there a suitably good greasy-spoon type eatery nearby where we can meet up in advance? 
    Free for two hours across the road in the bays. Go to Woodbridge Cafe about five miunutes down the road (past the Nisa garage and across the street).

If you're looking at guitars be sure to ask for Will J, he always offers excellent service.
    Wow - is the Woodbridge Cafe still there ?!  I remember going there in 1985 ....

sev112 said:
    Nick said:
    TimmyO said:
    Couple of questions :

Wow - is the Woodbridge Cafe still there ?!  I remember going there in 1985 ....

yep - nice fry-up it was too 
    Red ones are better. 
  • You guys are lucky. I live in north west wales. The land that guitar shops forgot. 

I guess it's subjective n only my opinion but it all felt to clinical and fancy if you get what I mean.
    It was a Saturday n most of the staff force looked like kids and they where everywhere and It felt like you were been watch all the time. 
    But then we went to the guitar village and that was really good more of the stuff we like. 
    And a better shop imo
    I've had completely the opposite experience.

Andertons is certainly busy at weekends (shock horror) but I've always had good service there. On the other hand I've consistently been utterly ignored in Guitar Village, including the time I walked in wanting to spend two grand. No-one showed the slightest interest - I couldn't even tell who the staff were 'cos no-one was behind the counter or working. I gave up on them completely after half a dozen visits.