Westone experts?

What's Hot
Anybody know what a good condition natural Westone Thunder 1 (non-active) bass, Japanese made, from around 1984 is worth in good condition? Weighing up a trade and its potential value for resale.

Thanks! 
Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• McTootMcToot Frets: 2041
    I was about to answer, but then I saw the word bass.  That's a fish in my book...

I think they were more highly regarded than their actual guitars, though...

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Sarge may know.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    £150 ish

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Yeah, about 150.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14039
    tFB Trader
    £150 sounds about right - but somehow I feel a touch under-priced but a decent Jap built guitar - the fact they are not 'favour' of the month will hold the price back

I sold shed loads of them in the day and the Thunder 1A active was the best seller of the lot I recall
    Oh yeah, I think they are pretty great, if a little heavy.

personally I think it's awesome you can still pick them up for very little money
    a quick look on ebay completed listings says the 1A guitars have gone up from £150 to £190-230 ish in the past 5 years.  The basses were always a bit less and it appears to still be the case

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Last 1A in Natural went on Basschat for £125 (Oct 16) - http://basschat.co.uk/topic/293395-sold-westone-thunder-1a-1983-natural-finish-l125/

No non-actives recently.. but if you were after a quick sale you'd need about the same price expectation..
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14039
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    Oh yeah, I think they are pretty great, if a little heavy.

personally I think it's awesome you can still pick them up for very little money
    you get a good bass for that price with goods components - plenty of character - I don't think you'll get a better bass for that money if you purchased new
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2370
    If it's in excellent condition then £150-£180,
    Any body wear like the finish wearing through or the grain exposed below /between pickups and you're looking at £120 ish tops. 
    Don't expect a rush of people wanting to buy it as there's loads about just now. 
  • Cheers, all. I don't need a bass, so it's no deal. 

My band, Red For Dissent
  • Cheers, all. I don't need a bass, so it's no deal. 

My band, Red For Dissent
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    I think they were a matsumoko product (like Aria and Ibanez) so essentially well made to a price. A bit lacking in charisma but very good value functional instruments.
    There is a website of enthusiats called matsumoko.org which might reward your visit. At £150 you are unlikely to lose your shirt on any resale as all the depreciation is all done and it might even accrue some 'vintage' mojo ;)
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    I bought a new thunder 1a guitar in 83, for 150, and sold it a year ago for 200, I think they've bounced around the 100-150 mark from new, until recently, when well looked after examples have fetched a bit more. That's just the thunder1s, though, other models will have performed differently, some better, some worse... They're all well made, good solid instruments, though, if a little quirky. Not that quirky is a bad thing. Actually been thinking that if I ever get a bass, a thunder might not be a bad way to go..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Yeah the Rainbow semis get advertised for rather silly money sometimes these days. 

Makes me wish I hadn't butchered mine so much!
    usedtobe said:
    .That's just the thunder1s, though, other models will have performed differently, some better, some worse... .
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited March 2017
    i tried a spectrum about five years ago. a massive heavy chunk of alder with a fat neck like a shovel handle. i was attracted by the gothy pointed look but they seem way over-chunky buildwise. & pickups sounded bassy-muddy too, like having tone rolled all the way off. so i wanted to like it (looked neat & cheap as) but couldn't get on with it on any level really.
    build quality seemed fine though. definitely better than real the budget mij stuff (teiscos & kay) which seem to command more money by virtue of freaky looks, but are often dogs to play & maintain.
    but if you like 'em big & bombproof, maybe something to consider.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • I love my Thunder Jet guitar. The alder body makes it a lot lighter than the normal Thunder guitars. It's really easy to play, simple yet versatile and it sounds really good. The only downside is that that it is SO black that that it can be a bit hard to see what you're playing on a dark stage! i need to practice with a blindfold on or something...
  • Here is mine Spectrum GT,very nice guitar, no chunky neck,nothing muddy on ton controls, only they work anti clock wise.

[IMG]http://i63.tinypic.com/10i772h.jpg[/IMG]