Nitro top coat really necessary on a neck?

Just finished spraying a tele neck in vintage amber/brown nitro tint, its exactly how I want it. Not too glossy, not too matt/satin. The main reason I'm not keen on putting 8 or 10 top coats on the fretboard is that at the moment it's nice and smooth, and doesn't feel like there is a thick layer sitting on top of the wood. Still feels quite natural. So, should I really be putting a top coat on?

It's a slightly aged tele 52 I'm putting together, so do not mind if the nitro wears off a bit on the fretboard. But, I don't want it all disappearing in 12 months time.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    If you're putting 10 coats of tint on you shouldn't require a clear coat but I'd be tempted to put one on so that when you wet sand and buff you'll have a slight protective layer before hitting the tint. You could add a coat of satin clear, then just wet and dry the back of the neck to make it comfortable to touch but leave the fretboard alone. 
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    lonestar said:
    If you're putting 10 coats of tint on you shouldn't require a clear coat but I'd be tempted to put one on so that when you wet sand and buff you'll have a slight protective layer before hitting the tint. You could add a coat of satin clear, then just wet and dry the back of the neck to make it comfortable to touch but leave the fretboard alone. 
    Sounds good, 1 or 2 coats on the back, already put a few light top coats over the decal and headstock, leave the fretboard as is. 
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Zoolooter said:
    lonestar said:
    Sounds good, 1 or 2 coats on the back, already put a few light top coats over the decal and headstock, leave the fretboard as is. 
    Yeah that ought to do it. Suppose you can always sand it back a touch if you think you've applied too much once it's hardened. It'll also check nicely too which is great
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    lonestar said:
    Zoolooter said:
    lonestar said:
    Yeah that ought to do it. Suppose you can always sand it back a touch if you think you've applied too much once it's hardened. It'll also check nicely too which is great
    I tried a few new teles in Dawsons the other day and, the maple boards felt a bit weird/plasticy, I'm also use to a rosewood slab board which obviously doesn't have any coating on it.