Custom Shop Fenders

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    edited March 2017
    riscado said:
    One of these days I would love to try a Custom Shop 1964 Anniversary Precision Heavy Relic.

All the pictures I've seen of them look so very similar to mine that I would just love to do a side by side comparison and see how it stacks up against the original. It's the same colour, same tort on the guard, same fingerboard nut width, the lot.. 

Most of all, I would love to know if you can tell by feel and tone alone which one is which...
    Feel free to head over to London and try mine.
    Would be nice to see the original and the CS together I have to say!!

Edit - you're selling this one aren't you? What would you do if you realised it was damn close to a 64? Would you be tempted to keep it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • riscadoriscado Frets: 180
    edited July 2017
    Hey bridgehouse, I'm mainly a guitar player, but I do love playing a good precision.

I'm quite familiar with vintage gibsons and fenders, however for my bass playing needs a custom shop more than fit the bill, so to answer your question... I wouldn't keep it regardless, even if it was a real 64, because selling it to fund another guitar purchase I'll be doing soon.

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    I think that's more to do with the woods used than anything else, another consideration is the other thread about fake custom shop necks, they are pretty much bang on, to the point people are buying them, so if custom shop ones are so much better, why isn't the difference more glaringly obvious? 

Again just my opinion,... Before the patronising simpletons start D
    So someone who disagrees with you is both patronising AND a simpleton? 

I suggest you familiarise yourself with Rule 1...
    Oooh touche, my mistake, it should have read simpleton not simpletons, only one person lead to that statement.... Hmmm who could that have been??? 
    riscado said:
    Hey bridgehouse, I'm mainly a guitar player, but I do love playing a good precision.

I'm quite familiar with vintage gibsons and fenders, however for my bass playing needs a custom shop more than fit the bill, so to answer your question... I wouldn't keep it regardless, even if it was a real 64, because selling it to fund another guitar purchase I'll be doing soon.

Ah the mighty GAS strikes, huh?

Shame I'm out of funds. I'd have considered your 64 CS!

edited July 2017
    Yeah, and worse, it's going to leave me "bassless", but yeah it's got to be done... a bit shamelessly, I'll tell you that if you really want to consider it, I'll improve the selling price. In any case regardless, offer still stands if you want to even just give it a try.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Whitecat said:

why part out a good CS guitar?

Because the value as separates is often worth more than the value as a whole, for some dealers anyway - 

https://stratosphereparts.com

No doubt they're buying dusty unsold inventory at knock-down prices, mind you, and they could be getting the "dogs" ...

I think it's probably more along the lines of buying the last stocks of discontinued models.  They often seem to have numerous bits of a particular model for a while, then they all sell, then something else comes along to replace them.

It's unusual for them to have much Custom Shop stuff, but there's been more of it recently.  I thought perhaps the profit margins were tighter - easy to turn a $600 guitar into $800 of parts, but maybe tougher to turn a $3,000 guitar into $4,000 of parts, especially when the only "premium" parts are the neck and body, maybe the pickups but certainly not the hardware.

• mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1054
    I plugged in my '97 CS tele today and it's just a fantastic guitar. Well built, light weight and resonant.

I got is second hand, so paid what I consider a fair price for it. Personally, I wouldn't fork out £3.5k for a new tele, but no one is forcing anyone to do that.

Plenty of people seem happy to buy new, take a hit, then flip them so there are plenty of great ones out there to be had.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    riscado said:
    Yeah, and worse, it's going to leave me "bassless", but yeah it's got to be done... a bit shamelessly, I'll tell you that if you really want to consider it, I'll improve the selling price. In any case regardless, offer still stands if you want to even just give it a try.
    Do you need all of the value out of it for your new purchase?
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2331
    I plugged in my '97 CS tele today and it's just a fantastic guitar. Well built, light weight and resonant.

Which model is it? That's a great period.
    edited July 2017
    riscado said:
    Do you need all of the value out of it for your new purchase?
    I'll have to sell a couple of my guitars, for the new acquisition, the bass alone doesn't cover it. But like I said, quite happy to give you a better price, if you are considering it.
    edited March 2017
    @Strat54 thanks it's called '50's tele' black, white guard and Birdseye maple neck.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2017
    Hope the pic works 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2017
    ICBM said:
    Hmmm literally none of this has proved to me a custom shop is any better, :D then again I dont think ANY solid body made in a factory hand made or not is worth more than 1.5k
    Then you want a Fender Mexican Classic Series. Almost all the quality of a US Custom Shop for a quarter of the price.
    I very much agree with ICBM's statement... I very recently created a post where I talked about a 1964 stratocaster, a custom shop stratocaster and mexican classic 60s stratocaster. I really really like the classic mim reissues.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11790
    For me the trouble with CS
    is that buying used, how do you know it's not fake?

same think applies with any high value Fender or Gibson really

The only CS I nearly bought was lovely, nice bloke selling it, a semi-pro I know through 2 contacts, but his CS was fake
    I stick to Anderson and Suhr for that sort of stuff - better value used, and some significant design improvements too 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Strat54 thanks it's called '50's tele' black, white guard and Birdseye maple neck.

Very nice, been looking for a blonde one of those but there are very few in the UK, in fact they made very few of these full-stop in that period as they were mostly Relic's. Your guitar is identical in spec to the Cunetto Nocaster of that period....like an N.O.S version of it. Lovely.

The only CS I nearly bought was lovely, nice bloke selling it, a semi-pro I know through 2 contacts, but his CS was fake
    I stick to Anderson and Suhr for that sort of stuff - better value used, and some significant design improvements too 
    Like buying anything used...you have to know your stuff or ask someone else that does. Its easy to learn these days with the internet and there's plenty of reference books too. 
    Strat54 said:

Like buying anything used...you have to know your stuff or ask someone else that does. Its easy to learn these days with the internet and there's plenty of reference books too. 
    Yep - buying used CS is a hell of a lot easier than buying vintage. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Guitars are subjective though. They made from natural material which is prone to variation. A believe a good guitar is a good guitar. Not all vintage stuff will be heaven sent. Leo Fender was a non musician businessman who came up with a genius idea. To make money. His staff would not be luthiers. Abigail was not the the 1950's version of Seymour Duncan. Nitro wasn't picked for its tonal proerties. It was picked because it was easily available. Car paint. The same reason I painted a Strat with car paint. Loads of it in Halfords.Bolt on necks were made to be replaced when worn out. If youve ever built a bitsa youll know they basically screwed together with wood screws! No bolts in those bolt on necks ha.Having said all this I've played one Custom Shop strat and it blew me away!:) Good guitar.If id the money and skill to justify it id of bought it.Good guitars a good guitar though:) Same with Gibson You cant just go out and buy a Gibson confident itll be the the Mutts. Took me 7 years to find my Les Paul. The hunts the fun though.Some CS stuff is over the top and just looks fake but sometimes they get it bang on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SickSquidSickSquid Frets: 149
    [/can of worms] There is Custom Shop, then there is Master Built, which is in a whole different league
    Once you get deep into that, the different builders are then of varying quality
    so there are those that are more desirable

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    SickSquid said:
    [/can of worms] There is Custom Shop, then there is Master Built, which is in a whole different league
    Once you get deep into that, the different builders are then of varying quality
    so there are those that are more desirable
    Don't agree. Of the ones I've played there is no difference in quality between a 'team built' and a 'master built'. If anything I think the 'team built' have been better, on average.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom