Looking for unusual guitar tone knobs

What's Hot
Hi All,

I'm the proud owner of the Peavey Rockingham guitar purchased from here the images are available here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/53142/peavey-rockingham-darrel-higham 

One thing I want to change are the control knobs as I think the nuts are too visible. I purchase a Gretsch style flat knob without the 'G' to test. That doesn't push down far enough and you can still see the nut. I tried a baja telecaster tone knob which fits very well but not the right style in my opinion. I have tried other guitars for dimensions (Gibson, Washburn etc) some fit some don't. 

There are some nice abalone telecaster knobs they may not be deep enough. Anybody got any spare tone knobs? I need 4, I think chrome/silver colour to match (but can be tarnished a little to match the bigsby). I am happy to pay of course.

Look forward to suggestions. Happy to try other methods of hiding but has to be non-destructive so I can put the originals should I ever need to.

Cheers folks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    The knobs on it look fine to me. You always see a bit of the nut on arch tops
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 605
    @Gagaryn ;
    The gap on this design is at least 1cm.
    Then the issue isn't the design of the knob but the way that the pot is fitted. Fit a nut and locking washer on the screw thread of the pot inside the guitar to reduce the length of the outside bit! The knobs that are on it look great. The abalone ones look like Liberarce's toothpaste lid.
    @Gagaryn LOL one man's meat is another man's poison. I heard somebody describe a pink Paisley telecaster as an abomination but I love the look of those.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    Gagaryn said:
    .............................. Fit a nut and locking washer on the screw thread of the pot inside the guitar to reduce the length of the outside bit! .................................
    Definitely the right way to do it and a doddle on something like a Strat or Tele but an archtop like the Rockingham is more of a challenge. It might be possible to get to the three pots at the f-hole but the volume pot on the cutaway will not be easy. Unless anyone knows an easier way, it might come down to the string / tubing method of removing a harness from an archtop or semi, which takes nerve. What @Gagaryn suggests is what should have been done at the factory to get the knobs to sit lower.

The other thing that the OP might be aware of is that some knobs are metric fit and others are imperial. I'd guess that the Rockingham might have metric pot shafts.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @Jimbro66 ;
    My thoughts exactly and no I don't have that nerve 
    ;-) Any recommendations or if anybody have what they think may suit the Rockingham then let me know, appreciated.
    For information - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280915553100 these fit nice and snug just not deep enough.
    notanon said:
    For information - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280915553100 these fit nice and snug just not deep enough.
    Then the abalone monstrosities will also fit - 0.1mm difference is fine with split shafts. You could always take the nuclear option and slice a few mil of the top off the split shaft with a Dremel cutting disc to get them to sit lower.
    @Gagaryn ;
    "
    Dremel cutting disc"  :#  backs away slowly from the monitor in fear
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @Gagaryn ;
    I do appreciate your help here but you are obviously more adept than I at mods. The Baja knobs fit just fine if tightened with screw and the Gretsch style knobs push on fine I bought just one to test. I'm curious which would you go for if you didn't want to modify the post or change height? I just need to check the heights on the ones available.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    Hi 
    Would say Googling custom knob makers shows a myriad of options besides the obvious. Seems to be quiet a cottage industry. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    notanon said:
    @Gagaryn ;
    I do appreciate your help here but you are obviously more adept than I at mods. The Baja knobs fit just fine if tightened with screw and the Gretsch style knobs push on fine I bought just one to test. I'm curious which would you go for if you didn't want to modify the post or change height? I just need to check the heights on the ones available.
    Like I said - I'd stick with those already on it. I know that's not what you want to hear though. :-)