Gigging without an amp - what are you using?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    edited March 2017
    John_A said:
    @Voxman that Tonelab sounds great, certainly shows a decent player doesn't need to drop £1200 on a box of tricks to get a good sound
    Decent player? Sorry, you must have watched the wrong vid!D

Seriously, thank you.  I've tried a load of different MFX units inc Line 6 Pod HD500X, Digitech RP500/1000, Zoom G5 (that one I bought but sold), Boss GT100 and they just didn't sound 'right' or anywhere near as 'full' sounding & amp like - its very hard to explain because on paper they are way more sophisticated with better modelling, way more effects, and loads of additional features.  But they were all difficult to use on stage because of switching restrictions (eg Zoom G5) or long menus that you had to scroll through, or they sounded too, well 'digital'.  And so I kept coming back to the Tonelab - it may be old technology but my TLLE and TLSE each cost me £100 and unless I dropped £1200 on a Helix or AxFx or similar high-end new stuff there's nothing I've found that's better for my needs.

The Tonelab LE & SE (forget the TLST/EX - toys by comparison - I loved the LE so much I got the SE for extra flexibility) both have their limitations but they sound and (largely) feel like a proper amp live, which is what I want them for. Switching options are excellent, great built in tuners, plenty of amp, cab & effects options for my needs, built like a tank, and easy to tweak on stage.  

The first 6 tracks here ('Undercover Duo') were all done with the Tonelab LE straight into the desk (no amp) - all guitar parts were me with my PRS Cu24. See what you think:

https://soundcloud.com/richard-birch-1

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775

Had a quick listen and to my ears the live video sounded better, the recordings have a bit of that distortion pedal DI'd in to the desk type of sound to them, I think the speaker emulation on the Vox may not be quite up there with more modern units.  Does a Helix sound 12 times better?  No, but it certainly sounds, to me, better by quite a bit.

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    The more I hear your vids and stuff @Voxman, the more I think you would absolutely love a Helix...
    The more I hear your vids and stuff @Voxman, the more I think you would absolutely love a Helix...
    I'm sure I would mate - but I just can't afford it. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Voxman said:
    In all seriousness, if I were you I'd get a Helix before an R8. I'll see when I'm down your way and bring it round for you to have a widdle with. 
    edited March 2017
    John_A said:

Had a quick listen and to my ears the live video sounded better, the recordings have a bit of that distortion pedal DI'd in to the desk type of sound to them, I think the speaker emulation on the Vox may not be quite up there with more modern units.  Does a Helix sound 12 times better?  No, but it certainly sounds, to me, better by quite a bit.

Probably more to do with the cheap mixer unit, but hey you're talking about an MFX unit first launched in 2004 - 13 years ago, and comparing it to state of the art units in 2017!  No way can it stand up to the sophistication of Helix, AxFx etc - but c'mon let's be fair here - it still sounds bloody good even in 2017!   And to be fair I bought the Tonelabs for live use, not recording, and they do that job really well. Here's another clip (our 2nd guitarist uses a Mustang III btw):

Didn't say it sounded bad, it sounds really good,  and I know it's unfair doing a direct comparison with a Helix.  Something like a Helix is a lot of money, but for me it was less expensive than my amp and pedals and sounds better too, so worth it.

Second clip not working for me BTW.

John_A said:

Didn't say it sounded bad, it sounds really good,  and I know it's unfair doing a direct comparison with a Helix.  Something like a Helix is a lot of money, but for me it was less expensive than my amp and pedals and sounds better too, so worth it.

Second clip not working for me BTW.

2nd clip should be OK now I think?  I'd love to get a Helix - perhaps once the prices drop and/or used prices become a bit more accessible for me.  
    Voxman said:
    In all seriousness, if I were you I'd get a Helix before an R8. I'll see when I'm down your way and bring it round for you to have a widdle with. 
    That's very kind mate, thank you so much - I'm sure its terrific!  I'll make sure I have some beer here for lubrication during a jam and a natter!  
    Voxman said:
    Voxman said:
    That's very kind mate, thank you so much - I'm sure its terrific!  I'll make sure I have some beer here for lubrication during a jam and a natter!  
    Only problem is, what you gonna do when you have to change your name to Helixman? :D
    2nd clip working and it's great - Certainly more than good enough for the type of band (similar to the sort of band I'm in actually).  You absolutely don't need a Helix, but then neither did I ;)
  • @Voxman vids sound great to me. I use a zoom g3 as my effects straight into a guitar amp (laney vc30) but im tempted to try it straight through the pa at the next rehearsal with the view of leaving the amp at home next gig and going through the pa. My only concern is will it put undue strain on our PA which until now is just used for vocals