Fulltone OCD alternatives

What's Hot
uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
Looking for something to pair with an AC15 and I'm very taken with the OCD sound.  Are there any others I should be considering in that tonal ball-park? Tubescreamers sound too muddy with Vox amps in my opinion.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Vick Audio Tree of Life would be my recommendation.
  • jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 464
    DOD 250 - sounds glorious through my AC-30
  • johnhejohnhe Frets: 191
    The Keeley BD2 is very close to the OCD. Both clean up very well and do low gain tones extremely well.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7151
    Crowther Hotcake is genuinely the only answer here. 
  • Crowther Hotcake is genuinely the only answer here. 
    And there's quite a few of these in the classifieds including mine! ;)
  • danbandanban Frets: 343
    I had an OCD but there was a funny annoying mid freq I noticed but now I used a Rat which I far prefer!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    OCD works better with some amps than others.  It's been my go to pedal for my Lazy J for years, but with a Princeton it's not so good.  The mids are quite flat so I think it works better with an amp that has more mids rather than black/silverface Fender.
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 392
    thanks for the OCD thoughts....my Carr Sportsman needs a drive pedal, and was thinking OCD, but now maybe someting else....
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    crunchman said:
    OCD works better with some amps than others.  It's been my go to pedal for my Lazy J for years, but with a Princeton it's not so good.  The mids are quite flat so I think it works better with an amp that has more mids rather than black/silverface Fender.

That's what pushed me towards the OCD to go with my AC15.  When you push the amp, it can be quite 'middy'.  That's probably the cab as much as the amp but when I tried a TS, it turned to mush.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited March 2017
    Still love the DANO Cool Cat Drive (V1) - it really does do the biz... Oh and it's sibiling the Transparent Drive also has some sweet sweet tones
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

That's always been the way it's gone for me when trying to get clever with these things =) 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2932
    Joyo Ultimate Drive is a cheap substitute by all accounts. I haven't run my Joyo alongside a real OCD so can't comment on that but, standalone, it does a pretty good job for pocket money.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • BigRedOneBigRedOne Frets: 67
    I'm with @TimmyO - the simplest answer is to get an OCD - they come up used quite a lot and they sound great and are surprisingly versatile.
  • I tried an ocd into my ac15 and it didn't sound very good. 

I use a boss ds-2 in crunch mode occasionally and it works well, but mostly in turbo mode as a fuzz. For the most part I get crunch from a boss df-2. I tried a rat (courtesy of @juansolo) and it was very good, low gain or high. Ultimately didn't hit the spot in the same way the boss distortions did. 

Ac15s are fussy buggers. I'd recommend trying loads out until you find one you like.