Will a volume box in Hotrod Deluxe iii fx loop murder it tonally ?

What's Hot
TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
The reason i returned a hrd iii was because you simply couldnt use the clean channel at home, sneeze beside amp and volume lifts the roof off. I didnt know about fx loop volume boxes, if you put one in loop does it lower the clean channel volume down to wife appeasing level and does it strangle the arse out of the tone ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72312
    It works perfectly and has no effect on  the tone.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    edited March 2017
    ICBM there are vids showing a common hrd fault being 2 resistors on the board that overheat, are there any premptive remedies that mean this fault cant occur in the first place ? also can a vol box be used in a loop that has fx running through it ?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72312
    edited March 2017
    ICBM there are vids showing a common hrd fault being 2 resistors on the board that overheat, are there any premptive remedies that mean this fault cant occur in the first place ?
    Yes, don't buy a first-series US-made version . The later ones are fixed, along with several other faults.

It's also best to set the mains voltage for 240V rather than the 230V as they come supplied, which is just a case of swapping two push-connectors. This makes the whole amp run cooler, but those resistors in particular.

also can a vol box be used in a loop that has fx running through it ?
    Yes, just put the volume box at the end of the chain. It will actually work anywhere in the chain, but last gives the least background noise.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7852
    I used a volume FX pot with a HRD for years.   Was essential to get breakup on the clean channel at lower volume.  Never did it any harm...
  • SpikeedogSpikeedog Frets: 43
    Dr Z attenuator - either the big one or the Brakelite. £100 used. Perfectly effective

• JD50JD50 Frets: 658
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9714
    It might have been placebo effect but I actually felt adding the volume box improved the sound for home volumes, both on clean channel and drive channel. But as I say that might have been me imagining it. I didn't find it that difficult to set the volume right anyway and I had a mark 1 version.

For what it's worth, it's my favourite amp I've ever had (and I've currently got a Princeton, though purely for size purposes) and I wouldn't hesitate to get another one or a deville if I had the space, definitely would get one anyway if I had to gig regularly
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    I'm sure my Blue Deluxe is more punchy being run with one, still only on 3 for clean just shy of breaking up, but i feel its more responsive than 1-2 on the vol. And i can run the dirt side boosted without blowing out windows.