Overdrive Pedal Suggestions?

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
I'm selling a guitar and buying another one but will have up to £200 max free as a result. I'm looking at picking up an overdrive pedal with the spare cash.

Currently have a Rat Clone from a local builder and a Big Muff Nano on the board running in to a Vox AC4. I like them both but they are a bit hair trigger so I set them and tiptoe away. I'd like something I can play with a bit more to get different usable tones on a gradient.

Top of the list currently is the DOD Looking Glass. Any love for this and alternative suggestions welcome...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    Someone here is selling an XTS or such. Great Nobels ODR-1 style pedal... £200 could be put towards a better amp too

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    XTS pedals are excellent but i would also suggest getting a better amp, that will make a bigger  difference
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I play into my mates Fender SuperSonic which is lovely, but I have to say I definitely am not hearing £1000 difference between that and the Vox. He also has a Cornford Amp but that is not as sweet as the Fender. 

I play for home use and recording only and I'm not even considering replacing my amp at the moment because the numbers just don't stack up.

A good £50 pedal makes a significant sonic difference to my ears. Judging by what else I've played through I'd spend a grand and get a slightly better sounding amp.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    A secondhand Boss SD-1 and something with bigger speakers.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Bigger speakers will make a world of difference. £200 will get you a nice 1x12 cab
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I really don't need a bigger amp or speakers, just some different drive options.

I've had larger amps and they sounded shite. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    My mistake - I thought the Ac4 had a smaller speaker. 

How is about a Guv'nor or an OCD? What sort of sound are you going for?
    I think low gain, but with a bit of bite on offer. Have been researching and the Thorpy Peacekeeper and Wampler Tumnus will be worth comparing to the DOD. The Tumbus is recommended for smaller amps by Dan from TPS.
    I tried the wampler and was pretty impressed but I was really in the market for a boost. Ended up going for a Suhr Kokoboost Reloaded which pushes the OCD which is set to very low gain and sounds wonderful with the clean boost on the Koko for rhythm and then mid boost for lead. 

Could be an option for you?
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    There's a Barber Gain Changer on sale in the classifieds, it does the gradual increase in gain that you require. Excellent quality pedal.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/98747/fs-barber-gain-changer-direct-drive-compact-trombetta-rotobone#latest
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3018
    edited March 2017
    Fuengi said:
    I really don't need a bigger amp or speakers, just some different drive options.

I've had larger amps and they sounded shite. 
    Out of interest, what larger amps did you have that were shite compared to the ac4?  It might inform suggestions by saying what you don't like.  From my experience I'd stay away from mid humped pedals like tube screamers.

When I had my ac4, my Paul Cochrane Tim worked ok with it (a Timmy would also work).  Another suggestion could be a Visual Sound Open Road as that is an odr-1 type pedal. Maybe even an old Marshall shredmaster, that could give a scooped or flatish eq and works much better at low gain than you might expect from the name.

• nick_snick_s Frets: 138
    I have to say I am thoroughly enjoying my recent acquisition from @juansolo - I'd give his pedals a good look, the tones on offer are amazing, more so when you consider the cost.
    - Shine On You Crazy Diamond -
  • Fuengi said:
    I think low gain, but with a bit of bite on offer. Have been researching and the Thorpy Peacekeeper and Wampler Tumnus will be worth comparing to the DOD. The Tumbus is recommended for smaller amps by Dan from TPS.

I'd watch out for recommendations fro  that show, they always come off as looking a bit like adverts in disguise to me. The tumnus is a klone type pedal. Probably good if that's what you want. 

I'll come in with standard left field ideas - boss bd2 is an awesome bitey overdrive, the od3 is similar but less interesting (less bitey). The Nobels pedals are very highly regarded, too. 

For bitey overdrive, though, my favourite is definitely the bd2. I love the df2 as a low-mid gainer but it's better for warm and loose than bitey and clear. 
  • FRockStarFRockStar Frets: 140
    For the low to medium gain drive tones you seem to be after, the Keeley modded Boss BD2 is still my favourite. Keeley just recently released his 'perfected' version of his mod as the Keeley Super Phat Mod pedal, which I purchased last week, as the pots on my BD2 are a bit iffy these days! Got it for under £135 from Watford Valves with a 10% off  code. 
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    BD-2, lots of levels of overdrive to chaos available and also a great clean boost if you ever need one.  

I would definitely try a stock one off eBay for about 40 quid-ish before buying a modified one, there's plenty of mods around the internet if you feel the need and anyway the stock one sounds great.

Use some of the money left over for a used SD-1.  Compare and contrast, they sound different, both are great and have their place.
  • Slightly different flavours of low/medium gainers but I would thoroughly recommend that you look at the Crazy Tube Circuits Blackface Stardust or a Lovepedal High Power Tweed Twin, both bloody awesome pedals! The Stardust is beautiful at low gain even when your amp is turned down low.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Sd1 is a great pedal. No need to spend £200 unless you really want
  • Paging @mike_l ;

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Paging @mike_l ;

You called..........

The MXR Custom Badass series do a nice gritty OD and distortion.

The MXR Distortion3 does a nice smooth OD into distortion at higher gain levels.

The Boss SD-1 is a classic, widely used OD for good reason, it's awesomes.

Failing that a tubescreamer, or derivative thereof. The Maxon variants are fannytastic, and very similar to the Ibanez units. Or for less dollar the EHX East River Drive is good.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    JezWynd said:
    There's a Barber Gain Changer on sale in the classifieds, it does the gradual increase in gain that you require. Excellent quality pedal.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/98747/fs-barber-gain-changer-direct-drive-compact-trombetta-rotobone#latest
    This.  Does everything from clean boost through edge of break up to high gain. If you want variety, this is well worth a look.