Guitar for a 7 year old.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Gretsch Jim Dandy? Parlour size, cheapish.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    octatonic said:
    Almost all young children don't really have the capacity to really learn an instrument.
    There are exceptions but they are rare.
    Get any cheap 3/4 nylon string- it will essentially be a toy for a few years.
    I'd probably go along with that.

I know guitar wielding parents often like to "ahem" help their little charges toward the guitar but most seven year olds I have known would rather be doing anything else than practicing guitar.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14226
    tFB Trader
    Sorry but I disagree with this you are to young to learn - granted many will drop interest quickly and many will have no ability/application, but let us not discourage to early - A violin is  a far harder instrument to learn and in Asia and elsewhere, via the Suzuki Violin method, with some what of a mathematical approach,they can produce some fine players at a young age

I also think it depends how and what we teach and I struggle to understand this let's teach some chords approach first - It is hard to get 2/3 fingers to play 2/3/4 notes on the same string at the first lesson, let alone 3/4 fingers across 6 strings - And once you have struggled to learn C F and G what the hell can you do with them but strum along to 1000 songs - I prefer the teach a simple tune for instant gratification - Even if it is whistle while you work or London Bridge is falling down - Get the fingers working then move on from those simple beginnings

It is like learning to spell at school - mum, dad, cat and dog first - Encyclopedia later
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Get her along to a guitar shop and let her choose the one she likes the best. Also, I don't think starting on acoustic (if she ultimately wants to play electric) is the way to go. 

A strat type or short scale squire with super light strings seems a good starting point. Either that or an SG type - they have scope for small necks. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    rico said:
    Get her along to a guitar shop and let her choose the one she likes the best. Also, I don't think starting on acoustic (if she ultimately wants to play electric) is the way to go. 

Other people may have different views but I've always thought it best to start on an acoustic.  You have to learn to actually control the dynamics of the instrument and add colour purely through your playing.  With an electric the temptation is to just step on a pedal and play with effects.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14226
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    rico said:

Other people may have different views but I've always thought it best to start on an acoustic.  You have to learn to actually control the dynamics of the instrument and add colour purely through your playing.  With an electric the temptation is to just step on a pedal and play with effects.
    I tend to agree with the acoustic approach at first - partly weight of a light guitar and also mum/dad might not want to spend to much at an entry level stage - granted you don't want to discourage any talent with a crap guitar, so that is why many favour a budget nylon guitar -an electric with amp can be at least double maybe treble the price - Dangle them a carrot and move on to an electric later and then they will be a touch older/taller 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    edited March 2017
    Fair points. I'm only giving an account of how I started. I had a 3/4 classical and had Spanish guitar lessons which I hated. All I wanted was an electric guitar, my dad got me one and the rest is history. 

Re the comment on just relying on effects, I can honestly say that it's only in the last five years of playing that I have really given them any thought and I have been playing for about 16 or 17 years or so. 

Either way, good luck to your granddaughter! 
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    Yes I started out on a Kapok I think classical /spanish guitar 'thing' and then moved on to an Eko 12 string which I was hopeless at keeping in tune with pitch pipes. I don't think there was such a thing as electronic tuners back then.  
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7125
    Not sure where you are Ronny but I bought a baritone Ukulele from Wunjo in Denmark street a couple of years back. It's tuned like the first 4 strings of a guitar and it's a lot of fun and the neck/body dimensions make it really easy for small people 
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    Not sure where you are Ronny but I bought a baritone Ukulele from Wunjo in Denmark street a couple of years back. It's tuned like the first 4 strings of a guitar and it's a lot of fun and the neck/body dimensions make it really easy for small people 

Yes I have considered Ukulele type instruments but she's quite a strong headed girl and I suspect it might not cut the mustard with her and would look upon it a bit baby like if you know what I mean. She sits there with my 'beater' tele plugged in making all kinds of horrendous noises. I think that only a proper guitar, even if smaller, like mine will do. She probably won't continue with it but at least i'll have tried. It's like that with musical instruments, my daughter wanted to learn the sax. We got her one and she got really good but it all fell by the wayside when she left school, got a car etc.    
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    tFB Trader
    Rocker said:
    IMHO seven is too young for a child to try to learn how to play guitar.  A seven year olds hands are very small, tiny fingers etc. 
    Tell that to Tommy Emmanuel
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Emmanuel#
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
     With an electric the temptation is to just step on a pedal and play with effects.
    Tell that to the Edge! ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom